Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 10:44 PM

Default NLSNG: Ugly spot vs agro who likes taking control pf

So I'm playing vs a guy who is frequently 3 betting my pf raises and raising my limps. I haven't been catching cards, so stacks are me 1000, villain 2000, and blinds have recently moved up to 15/30.

Something to note is ~10 hands ago, he limped and I checked A2o, the flop came ace and suited rags, I checkraised his pot sized bet and he folded. Other than this, I haven't stood up to him yet.

On to the hand: I limp K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] with the intention of calling a raise, he in fact raises his 3x bb standard and I call. If people think this is spew, and that I should just fold this or raise it hoping to take his blind, I can understand, but he's raising limps so frequently I just go by the fact that K6o rates to beat his average hand and I have position.

Flop comes 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and villain fires 120 into the 180 pot. What would you do here?

My thinking was, this is a pretty draw heavy board and almost every card in the deck can be scary. I don't want to call this bet and end up facing an all in on the turn with an ugly card. So I opt to raise from 120 to 360. In retrospect I wonder if I should have minraised or pushed, since my line leaves me with significantly less than is in the pot if the bet is called.

Villain then puts me all in. With the odds I'm getting at this point to call, I think I have to, seeing as he could have a weaker 6 or a draw.

Comments on either street welcome, as well as comments about dealing with people who raise limps frequently.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:21 AM

Default Re: NLSNG: Ugly spot vs agro who likes taking control pf

[ QUOTE ]
On to the hand: I limp K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] with the intention of calling a raise, he in fact raises his 3x bb standard and I call. If people think this is spew, and that I should just fold this or raise it hoping to take his blind, I can understand, but he's raising limps so frequently I just go by the fact that K6o rates to beat his average hand and I have position. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] <font color="blue">I think that you are right when you said that this is spew, your analysis of the situation you put yourself in is correct, you'll find that you can often identify your own mistakes without noticing it, but, anyways by calling a 3x raise here you are essentially playing right into the hands of the aggro player that you are playing against, because you still have the mindset of a tighter player for latter streets </font>

Flop comes 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and villain fires 120 into the 180 pot. What would you do here? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

My thinking was, this is a pretty draw heavy board and almost every card in the deck can be scary. I don't want to call this bet and end up facing an all in on the turn with an ugly card. So I opt to raise from 120 to 360. In retrospect I wonder if I should have minraised or pushed, since my line leaves me with significantly less than is in the pot if the bet is called. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> Good, these were exactly my thoughts, putting your opponent to the test for the second time in the entire natch will make your hand look much stronger then it is, so this is a very good play here even though the situation in itself is bad, that said however when he pushes back he is saying he can beat stronger hands then the one your holding... for later plays take nearly your full time, fake thinking, and then fold </font>

Villain then puts me all in. With the odds I'm getting at this point to call, I think I have to, seeing as he could have a weaker 6 or a draw. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> This semi-tilt where you stack yourself with middle pair here is exactly what your opponent wants you to do, with 2k vs 1k he is begining to look to finish this and will likely tighten post flop I cant imagine you ever being ahead here unless your opponent is a maniac rather then a good agro heads up player</font>

Comments on either street welcome, as well as comments about dealing with people who raise limps frequently.

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="blue"> Basicly you need to adjust your play, but because there is like a million ways to do this and it will depend heavily on the exact style of your opponent I don't think I can cover all of them (of course adjusting to your opponent is the most important factor of heads up matches, so this is something I would recommend thinking out against different generic styles before putting yourself in this situation again), one thing I can tell you for sure is you dont want to open limp the sb with weak holdings as you are just feeding money into the aggro's pockets if he is raising every time and following it with post flop aggression. You will also never have any idea where you stand in the hand. </font>
Old 03-08-2007, 12:22 PM

Default Re: NLSNG: Ugly spot vs agro who likes taking control pf

To me it seems like hes got you beat here. He folded last time you raised him preflop and at this point I dont think he would like to give you the advantage by going all in here without a hand that beats you. I think you fold here and start playing more aggressive preflop. The blinds are still small and you can easily come back. If he is always 3 betting preflop, raise more often with hands that you are willing to push preflop after his 3 bet and start folding more often.