Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 10:32 PM

Default QQ capped 4-way

So this is one of those times where you're almost sure you've got the best hand, but can't seem to thin the field. I'm interested in what my line is after the check-raise on the turn. Not much read, but he appears solid. I'll give my thoughts after some discussion.

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls, Button calls, BB calls.

Flop: (16.33 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, Button calls, BB calls.

Turn: (10.16 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB folds, Hero?
Old 02-23-2007, 10:42 PM

Default Re: QQ capped 4-way

call the raise, c/c a non river Q, c/r a river Q.

What other options do you even have here?
Old 02-23-2007, 11:12 PM

This really sucks. After the preflop 3-bet and turn raise it is very difficult to put villain on anything but JJ, KK, and AA. Possibly AKh (but why not raise the flop then?).

I think you are beaten and have 2 outs. Also, if you call now you basically have to call the river as well. But with 14BB in the pot I think I call down anyway, for the metagame if nothing else.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you are beaten and have 2 outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you replaced "think" with "am almost positive", then this would be a close decision. As it is, no way you can fold.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:09 AM

I prefer not to cap with QQ when 3-betted. The main reason is because you may scare KK into thinking you have AA, you end up betting all the way, get called down and still losing. Had there been many more opponents capping would be better, because you lose too much money by not raising. But you only have three opponents, one of them is 3-betting possibly indicating a better hand or AK, so you are really only getting equity from two players.

By not capping before the flop, it increases the chance that someone will bet a small pair and you can knock out AK or whatever from peeling one off. As you see, when you lead out on the flop, they all just call, and correctly. This greatly reduces your chance of winning the pot.

In this particular case, though, there was a pre-flop cap, and there is nothing you can do but call down, the main reason being there was no raising on the flop. Eventhough he could be slowplaying a set, you cant give anyone credit for KK or AA because surely they would have raised on the flop or 3-bet preflop (your preflop 3-better folded). You are calling down as an underdog. Your opponent could have JJJ, 888, 444, 222, and unlikely AA, or KK, but he could also have just AJ, KJs, or even QQ or 99. Maybe he picked up a straight or flush draw on the turn. When the pot gets big players who are losing sometimes do desperate things. You're probably beat, but call down anyway.

-J
Old 02-24-2007, 11:32 AM

I think a calldown is the right way to play it. You are behind in most cases, as your opponent holds AA,KK or hit his set of Jacks on the flop. I donīt think he hit his set of eights on the turn, canīt imagine he 3-bets preflop with 88 at a fullring game. An other option is that he holds AK or maybe AQ of hearts.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:17 PM

Why do you guys think AA,KK, JJ??? Do these hands often just call a 3-bet on the button?
Old 02-24-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
call the raise, c/c a non river Q, c/r a river Q.

What other options do you even have here?

[/ QUOTE ]
qft
Old 02-24-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you guys think AA,KK, JJ??? Do these hands often just call a 3-bet on the button?

[/ QUOTE ]

I see alot of players just call with JJ in this situation. AA, KK are unlikely because they would have 3bet preflop. I think your gonna see a set here alot.

I agree with everyone else, your probably beat but you gotta call down.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:11 PM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer not to cap with QQ when 3-betted. The main reason is because you may scare KK into thinking you have AA, you end up betting all the way, get called down and still losing

[/ QUOTE ]

that's really not a logical reason. what's the difference between this scenario and: you don't cap preflop, he bets his KK all the way(maybe you throwing in a flop c/r but that's not the point), and you still end up losing.

i mean, the fact that you don't cap preflop doesn't make you win the hand against KK anyway.

a logical reason to cap might be: there's 4 of us in the pot, 2 called 3 cold, i'm gonna cap for value because i'm sure they'd have capped already with AA or KK. so they probably have medium pps up to JJ, which i beat, or AK/AQ, which i beat-and if several of them have AK-AQ, they've less outs.

another reason to cap might be: i think QQ is superior to his 3-betting range (aggressive player, resteal situation, etc)

by the way, i think the hand was played fine and now you need to call down.