Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 05:38 PM

Default What would you do to make millions?

There are plenty of people who would be content with making $100k/yr online, but what would it take for someone to become multi millionaires?

You could spend a lot of time and maybe at the higher end making 6 figures, but doesn't that pale in comparison to how millionaires and billionaires of the past made their fortunes?

I've been beginning to think that I've been thinking way too small. I used to believe that I needed to build one thousand 10$/day adsense sites in order to make good money. Then I decided it would be better to build a few (two to three) really good ones.

Lately, however -- I've been thinking that I should scrap the entire idea of affiliate marketing. I should figure out what the next Myspace, Google, Youtube, Ebay, Amazon is and run with it. It's those people that become rich, not the people selling other's products for $20-50 each time.

I think the question is... if you had to make millions upon millions, what would you be doing?

I mean you HAD to, otherwise something unforseeable like omgyourfamilyisgoingtodieotherwise happens.

Does it mean that you'll have to learn how to create software? How to make the next Microsoft?

Take out bank loans and start a B&M retail store like Walmart?
Old 02-23-2007, 06:03 PM

Default Re: What would you do to make millions?

I don't think someone can answer this, otherwise, they'd be doing it.

All I can say is, you need to have an idea, and then you need to execute the idea. Risk vs. Reward.

Take your ideas and run with them. I wish I knew what that next big thing would be, but I don't. I don't think the owners of YouTube knew their site would be a huge hit and score them a nice payday.

You need to find an untapped market and develop it. Or you need to find something that is already being done and make it better. Google was no revolutionary idea, but they did things different. Dell Computers wasn't anything special, but they did things different. They found something already being done and made it better.

Everyone wants to strike gold, but nobody wants to go out and sift through tons and tons of dirt to find the gold bed.

I have always heard that "9 out of 10 businesses fail." While that may or may not be true, the idea behind it is that you have to go out and try these ideas and see how the market reacts.

I'm just now trying out the affiliate stuff. I don't plan on making a huge profit, and I may make nothing, but it's worth a shot. If I make $25, I'll be extremely happy because it's $25 I didn't already have. Every penny you pick up is another penny you never had.

Think about www.milliondollarhomepage.com Read about the background on that and your wheels will start spinning.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:05 PM

E-commerce
Old 02-24-2007, 12:29 AM

FPS,

The point is, you may have to start those thousand $10 sites... to find the 2-3 ideas that are really profitable.

To have a truly revolutionary idea, you need to find out what people want, that they aren't receiving, and get it to them!
Old 02-24-2007, 03:35 AM

if you are anything close to the pic, then have NBA player's babies. That is the quickest way I know to be a millionaire.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:40 PM

depends on so many factors. how much money do you have? what are your skills? know anyone willing and able to help? everyone wants to find the next big thing, but this is a crapshoot. whatever you do you will need to know how to invest your money. learn about the stock market and real estate. my advice would be to find a way to build up enough cash to start investing in real estate in about a year or so, when many people can't keep up with their mortgages. we are a debt ridden society, take advantage of that.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:00 PM

I'll just elaborate on some of the points some of the other posters have said.

A lot of people get caught in the trap of thinking that they have to come up with that one huge idea and then run with it. Like other posters have said, most of the time people are just taking existing ideas/concepts and improving on them.

I once heard the story of the owner of Curves. First off, look at the idea. It's a freakin health club. I mean how simple is that. I guess he failed at 4-5 attempts to start healthclub chains. Finally he went at it at the right angle and congratulations Mr. Curves. He basically found a gap in the market and filled it.

The other thing I wanted to address is when you say...

"Does it mean that you'll have to learn how to create software? How to make the next Microsoft?"

This is where I tend to get stuck a lot, and I'm trying to get better. It comes down to this - while you're out there trying to learn programming so that you can create the next big program, some other guy is going to have an idea for a program and hire a bunch of programmers to do it for him. It's about two things - spending your time efficiently(where you contribute the most) and having a willingness to invest in your vision.

I ramble.

One more thing. Sometimes you have to start walking, no matter how slowly, in order to even have the chance to stumble into something.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:22 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 02-25-2007, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
make the next YouTube or Skype or eBay

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah... pretty much.

I know one thing i WOULDN'T do to make money is try to make ANOTHER youtube, skype or ebay.

So many people say "OMG! MYSPACE IS HUGE!!! I'M GOING TO CREATE ANOTHER MYSPACE" not realizing that they have very little chance of success.

Discovering what the web needs next is the best way to get close to success.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:07 AM

"Hitting it big" is not a quick low work effort... Hitting it big, generally takes a tremendous amount of work over an extended period...