Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 03:29 PM

Default WTF is this overbet?

Monte carlo 50 rebuys satellite for 800 dollar seat. Play is fairly weak in these. This is villains first crazy over bet.

A bit after the break:
i have about 5300
SB 16000
BB 5800
Blinds 75/150

I hold K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on button

Preflop: Folds to me on button, i raise to 450, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop:T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB checks, i check.

Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB bets 5050, BB folds, hero?

WTF???
Old 02-23-2007, 03:54 PM

Default Re: WTF is this overbet?

Not too sure but looks like a heart FD to me. Would probably fold anyway as you still have a while to play with your stack/blind ratio.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not too sure but looks like a heart FD to me. Would probably fold anyway as you still have a while to play with your stack/blind ratio.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't this be a very passive way of looking at the hand? Maybe it's just me, but i would definately give it more thought than that. How many people are left in the tounry and how many cash?
Old 02-23-2007, 05:19 PM

We're like 75 minutes in. So we're not close to the money.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:37 PM

well its a terrible play for starters... I guess I agree that it could be some sort of weird draw. Either a flush, maybe involving the T of hearts; or QJ straight draw, possibly including a flush option? Other possibility is maybe the guy is afraid of either of the flush draw possibilities and wants to protect a hand he thinks is ahead. He would probably risk the check or value bet it if he had the 2, but if he hit the K or the T (or had a pair around there) he might feel like its good and he wants to take it down. He should have raised to Isolate w/ AK, so if this is whats going on your KQ should be at least chop-worthy...

Unless anyone else has made a bet like this and got called at the table? Like maybe the villan saw someone get a bet like this called so he's getting over-creative w/ pocket TT or something... If there's no read at all I probably call (top pair, good kicker seems at least 50% here)and get pissed when the SB shows down 24 or whatever...

I take it you folded and don't know what it was? If you do, PM me please-- lately i've been really trying to think about/figure out about super weird overbets like this one.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:38 PM

It really looks to me like he has a 2 and thinks that this is the best way to get your stack if you have AK. I think that he is afraid of a heart, king, or spade on the river and he wants to get the chips in now before he hits a river that scares him. Obviously QJhh or QJss are also possible

You made a good fold.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:40 PM

crazy dumb bet...well, he either flopped a nice hand, tried to S/P then overbet the turn hoping you hit a K and would be dumb enough to call, or he himself hit the K and he'such and idiot he blows his wad thinking he has the nuts. I just don't see a flush draw doing this, but if the player is weak anything is possible. I am leaning towards Vil's holdings as AT,KA-Kx,or an overpair to the 2s, up to QQ. I think if the AT are hearts his bet would some sense. Don't also discount a bluff. Overbets like this "usually" don't want to get called.

I think if the play is as weak as you say, you should have no problem passing up the big score, when you can beat them down with smaller pots. OTOH, I really would like doubling up right now through this guy, but I think I would fold.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:45 PM

People see things that scare them and push it all in so they don't have to make a decision later. Like here, you have to decide.

Or he feels he needs to be the bully with the big stack. Figuring to take it down and/or still have a decent # of chips.

Who knows what he has ... the range is infinite
Old 02-23-2007, 06:08 PM

I hate those plays and these boards. I agree with FT. I fold to this play and don't even give it another thought. Your stack is fine in relation to the blinds and I just look for better spots to increase my stack. Fiji is right. This play normally when I play the player has a 2, figures maybe if he shoves is the only way there is a chance of making any money, and when I call I kick myself because I know I could of outplayed the table over the next 100 hands or whatever with a good stack.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:28 PM

I think this is very often a 10. Villain: flop- "time to go for the ole check raise since I have such an incredibly stong hand. Rats. Bad turn, don't want to make a decision if raised so, ridiculous bet." Trips are possible, but I think a 10 or draw is more likely.