Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 06:13 AM

Default Redo Button

Ok. This will be tough for me to explain, but see if you can follow. It's hypothetical, so bear with me. Say you have a "redo button" where you could go back any length of time and undo all actions in the time period in which you are redoing. Example: Go all in with pocket kings, run into pocket aces, and get knocked out of my tournament. I set the redo button to right before I pushed in with KK, and just fold them, lasting longer in the tourament with my new found 20/20 hindsight.

Say this button had unlimited maximum uses, and you could redo any length of time period as many times as you wanted. Say your BB got raised and you read your opponent for weakness so you reraise all in. If he folds, you can carry on, if he calls and you lose you can redo the hand and just fold.

Having this situation set up, could you win any tournament from any starting seat using perfect 'redo button strategy'? Every tournament is won by someone and they don't have a redo button. If you did this for an extended period of time, I imagine you might become a terribly results oriented poker player. If you stayed smart and observant you could probably learn a lot.

So, is any starting seat in any tournament winnable using a redo button? Is any seat in any tournament only a guaranteed possible win if using the button? I know that many starting seats are just destined to lose, even if perfect poker is put into practice. But does everyone have a fair shot, skill aside?
Old 02-23-2007, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Redo Button

I don't get it. Couldn't we just push all in every hand and redo it if we get called and lose?
Old 02-23-2007, 02:20 PM

It would be trivial to win. The only way you could lose money on a hand is if you were in the blind and couldn't steal the pot. Even in that worst case scenario you would only lose your blind. All other hands would be either break-even or positive results.

And if you keep taking the money, you win the tournament.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:30 PM

wtf how could anyone lose with this?
Old 02-23-2007, 02:37 PM

If you were smart about it, it would be impossible to lose... You could try infinite possibilities with EVERY hand to try to win the most money possible from that hand... switch up the amount of time it takes you to bet/check to find how to get the people in with the most money they will bet and you can take. No one with any discipline and creativity could lose doing that.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:11 PM

i think im dumber for reading this
Old 02-23-2007, 04:17 PM

So you're trying to say that Bill Murray should have played a poker tournament instead of learning to play piano?

If you were never dealt a winning hand and your opponents never folded, then no, you couldn't win the tournament. The odds of that are ridiculously slim, so yeah, easy win. But isn't this more like science fiction theory than poker theory?
Old 02-23-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you're trying to say that Bill Murray should have played a poker tournament instead of learning to play piano?

If you were never dealt a winning hand and your opponents never folded, then no, you couldn't win the tournament. The odds of that are ridiculously slim, so yeah, easy win. But isn't this more like science fiction theory than poker theory?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it does dispel one common myth - the cursed tournament seat that couldn't win no matter what you do.

Of course, the plays that would be required to win with some sets of cards are so results-oriented that you could never make them.