Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2006, 05:50 AM

Default Christian History Questions

I read somewhere that the divinity of Jesus was not actually decided yet until it was voted several centuries later by a council of some sort. If I am wrong, please correct me.

If this is so, what were the people calling themselves "Christians" before this decision believing in? Did they believe that he was the son of God sent down to save humanity? Did they believe that they must believe in him in order to be saved? As is my understanding, all of this was not decided until later.

From what I also understand, the first Christians were basically still Jewish, but with a new philosophy/outlook/view on certain things advocated by Jesus. Am I wrong?
Old 02-11-2006, 06:12 AM

Default Read all about it

http://jesusneverexisted.com/

Everything you need to know.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:28 AM

Default Re: Christian History Questions

[ QUOTE ]
I read somewhere that the divinity of Jesus was not actually decided yet until it was voted several centuries later by a council of some sort. If I am wrong, please correct me.

If this is so, what were the people calling themselves "Christians" before this decision believing in? Did they believe that he was the son of God sent down to save humanity? Did they believe that they must believe in him in order to be saved? As is my understanding, all of this was not decided until later.

From what I also understand, the first Christians were basically still Jewish, but with a new philosophy/outlook/view on certain things advocated by Jesus. Am I wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11044a.htm
Old 02-11-2006, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Read all about it

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That site looks to be about as reliable as asking Jerry Falwell for evidence for evolution.

The fact that they expect there to be simialr evidence supporting the existance of Jesus that there is for Julius Caesar is completely retarded. One was a poor carpenter from BFE, the other was the ruler of the known world.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That site looks to be about as reliable as asking Jerry Falwell for evidence for evolution.

The fact that they expect there to be simialr evidence supporting the existance of Jesus that there is for Julius Caesar is completely retarded. One was a poor carpenter from BFE, the other was the ruler of the known world.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a very good point.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actual thinking is hard, isn't it?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 02-11-2006, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I also read this in Dan Brown's fictional book, "The Divinci Code."
Old 02-11-2006, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If its on the internet, it MUST be true!!!!
Old 02-11-2006, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I also read this in Dan Brown's fictional book, "The Divinci Code."

[/ QUOTE ]

I read it also in The Divinci Code, but I have also read it in various other sources too.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:49 PM

Hi.

Q: "I read somewhere that the divinity of Jesus was not actually decided yet until it was voted several centuries later by a council of some sort. If I am wrong, please correct me." A: Some people may have decided to believe it then, and some obviously believed it while Jesus was still walking on the earth.

Q: "If this is so, what were the people calling themselves 'Christians' before this decision believing in? Did they believe that he was the son of God sent down to save humanity? Did they believe that they must believe in him in order to be saved? As is my understanding, all of this was not decided until later. A: Yes. Yes. Yes. No.

Q: "From what I also understand, the first Christians were basically still Jewish, but with a new philosophy/outlook/view on certain things advocated by Jesus. Am I wrong?" A: Some of the first (early) Christians were Jews and some were not.

Have a great day!