Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 03:52 AM

Default Stars 3$ Turbo - Full of fishes?! How to react on an all in pf

Hi

I've changed yesterday from fulltilt to stars just to try something new. And I'm really astonished how bad smoe players are playing there. They NEVER fold...no matter what they have. Sometimes I'm really getting insecure, if I hit a king on the flop holding AKs I normally bet pot size, but if I'm getting called on all streets I sometimes starting to wonder what I have to expect on the showdown. However they almost always have nothing at all or just some Ace with a bad kicker.

Now in the last game, blinds were 50/100, I had 2000, and a guy having 1500 chips left went all in. Seemed quite loose before. I was holding AQs and was calling or going all in myself. Unfortunately he held AKo and I lost. Was this call unjustified given the loose play on these levels?
Old 02-23-2007, 04:05 AM

Default Re: Stars 3$ Turbo - Full of fishes?! How to react on an all in pf

Granted, odds are you are ahead of his range. But you got to think to yourself, he's also going to have k/x, pocket pairs, sometime the lower ace, but even then, you're a max 60/40 favorite over his range, assuming he's crazy with aces. If the players are bad as you say they are, then you should probably wait for a better spot to put your money in.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:49 AM

As to your first quasi-question:
In the first 2 levels I open for 100, up to 150. Starting with level 3 I start opening for 3xbb. Of course I'm only raising with AA, KK, QQ, AK in the first 3 levels, I don't want to commit a bunch of chips pf with marginal hands like AQ, AJ, KQ, JJ, TT, 99.

Your second question:

All depends on what place I'm in, how many chips does the next smallest stack. When I'm in the top 3, this deep I need a very good hand to be calling off substantial percentages of my stack.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:58 AM

So you're raising preflop with these blinds only about 1.5 blinds? That was another question I had...what raise sizes do you choose if you let's say have 2000 chips with blinds being 50/100. Still 3BB or do you make "min-raises" of 100 to 200 here?
Old 02-23-2007, 05:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So you're raising preflop with these blinds only about 1.5 blinds? That was another question I had...what raise sizes do you choose if you let's say have 2000 chips with blinds being 50/100. Still 3BB or do you make "min-raises" of 100 to 200 here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Once the blinds get to 25/50, I start raising to 3xbb + bb per limper. At 50/100 with a 2000 chip stack I open for 3xbb. If someone opens for 3xbb in front of me and I have a hand worth reraising, I shove.

For the record I just started to seriously play sngs and am only playing the $5.50s. My first 10 or so I kept getting burned cause I would open for 3xbb in the first 2 levels with QQ and would get burned by some douche calling with K9+, A-rag and flopping top pair.

EDIT: Also, normally once the blinds get to 100/200 I start opening for 500. Of course I'm fairly new to sngs, so take my word with a grain of salt, my raising amounts seem to work in my small sample size of sngs.