Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 06:14 PM

Default Help me kick someone out

I let an old friend who is havng a lot of problems stay at my house. He has a court hearing in Philadelphia for assaulting his room mate March 9. I live in Austin, Tx, and he drove across the country to come stay with me. He has no money, and has already used credit cards and borrowed money from everyoe who would give him some.

It has become clear now, after a few days that he has no intention of leavng my home. I have asked him to leave, and he ignores me. I just placed all of his things outside, and locked the doors. Then I called non-emergency police to ask them what the procedure is for something like this. Here is the kicker:

The police told me that by letting him in, he established residency, and I have to formally evict him in court. That costs $82 and takes several weeks.

WTF?! OOT, please tell me what happens in the real world in these situations. I figure that he probably won't go back to Philadelphia for his March 9 hearing, so there will be a warrant out for his arrest by that time anyway, and I don't need to bother filing a formal eviction.

Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? Thanks!
Old 02-22-2007, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Help me kick someone out

hide the body
Old 02-22-2007, 06:17 PM

I think you did all you can do. He sounds really lazy and retarded, I doubt he will try to legally get back into your house. If you do get the police involved, lie and say he threatened/hurt you.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hide the body

[/ QUOTE ]

a la Very Bad Things
Old 02-22-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hide the body

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-22-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I let an old friend who is havng a lot of problems stay at my house. He has a court hearing in Philadelphia for assaulting his room mate March 9. I live in Austin, Tx, and he drove across the country to come stay with me. He has no money, and has already used credit cards and borrowed money from everyoe who would give him some.

It has become clear now, after a few days that he has no intention of leavng my home. I have asked him to leave, and he ignores me. I just placed all of his things outside, and locked the doors. Then I called non-emergency police to ask them what the procedure is for something like this. Here is the kicker:

The police told me that by letting him in, he established residency, and I have to formally evict him in court. That costs $82 and takes several weeks.

WTF?! OOT, please tell me what happens in the real world in these situations. I figure that he probably won't go back to Philadelphia for his March 9 hearing, so there will be a warrant out for his arrest by that time anyway, and I don't need to bother filing a formal eviction.

Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't bother with the formal eviction thing. He won't know the law. Just lock him out with his stuff outside. He'll get the picture. Or break back in.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:25 PM

I dunno if that warrant would be interstate though, even if it promptly issued march 9th. I'm not sure how serious the crime has to be to get an interstate warrant, if they even exist. Just lock him out, don't let him in. If he's bigger than you, get a gun/knife. It's Texas, I'm sure you could shoot him trying to break in and get away with it.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:26 PM

wow america has some really dumb laws. so if some woman knocked on your door late at night because she said her husband was beating her or something and you said she could stay there, then the next morning she could be like, "well i aint leaving. you have to evict me proper and pay $82 dollars and it takes several weeks."

yeahhhhhhhhh, OKAY!
Old 02-22-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I let an old friend who is havng a lot of problems stay at my house.

[/ QUOTE ]

How long has he been staying with you?
Old 02-22-2007, 06:35 PM

Pretty sure there's usually some kind of minimum time frame involved in establishing residency - How long has he been living with you? How long was he supposed to stay for? ie: Was there a verbal contract (lease) on when he was supposed to leave?

If dumping his crap outside didn't work, give legal aid a call. If you're in college, particularly a big school, they'll likely have a student legal aid clinic.