Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 05:37 PM

Default Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone

Now I'm actually a huge "postrock" fan, but if the genre has a downfall it's that it can be boring at times when it sounds like just a bunch of guys [censored] around with their instruments for no real purpose. EITS compositions have a certain emotive quality that I haven't found in similar artists.

I've only listened to All of a Sudden... a few times but so far I think it's my favorite EITS album. It's richer and more complex than past albums and lacks the repetition that was especially noticable in The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place. The instrumentation is also more diverse and there seems to be more of a progression throughout the album, whereas in the past they had the same type buildup-crescendo dynamic revisited over and over again in every track.

The album feels a little short at a little over 40 minutes however.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone

Helpful post. I find their stuff hit/miss, and wouldn't be at EBAY in two minutes buying the new one had it not been for your post.

Or maybe I would have, I dunno.

You do MONO, Red Sparrowes or Russian Circles? If any of these are not familiar, check 'em out.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:23 PM

This IS a helpful post! I agree with you about "The Earth Is..." and honestly didn't know where to keep trying with them, since I liked them, but found it a bit ho hum. I can't wait to give it a try.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:36 PM

I like the album, but I think How Strange, Innocence is better. Pitchfork didn't give All of a Sudden a good review and I agree with the fact that it seems a little artisinal. I don't really hear the new steps forward. Maybe it's because I've heard it in places that wasn't an Explosions song. That said, artisinal isn't bad, since I love Explosions. Then again I haven't really focused on the differences between All of a Sudden... and everything else.

I think I would order the albums How Strange..., Those Who..., and then a tie between All of a Sudden and Cold Dead Place (although Memorial is the track that introduced me to Explosions and I still love it). The Rescue is a distant 5th.

I've always liked the Friday Night Lights Soundtrack a lot too and Your Hand in Mine with strings is so good.

Also, I like the idea that Explosions was more crescendo-rock than post-rock.

Anyway, I'm a pretty big post-rock fan, so if you want to talk more about it, we can do it, but I don't want to derail the thread.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:47 PM

Explosions in the sky is a great band.

Another band that you should probably check out that I think is better then Explosions is a band called Tristeza. Find them on Amazon. Their album "Dream Signals in Full Circles" is a masterpiece. To give you an idea, the music they play sounds like the name of the album.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:51 PM

Location: My Avatar is Cursed for my Teams. Please don\'t curse my burger.

I'll check out that album, thanks.

NME,

I like the album, but I think it's their weakest effort, still very cool. My favorite is "The Earth...".

I love how this band is getting press now, it was impossible to see them play since they came around only once every 2 years. I saw them last night at this little church near me, pretty sick, best set i've seen them play.