Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 03:58 PM

Default WSOPC Flopped flush

Level 2; I have 10.5K villain covers.
50/100

I have been active winning small pots preflop or with continuation bets, I'm playing too many hands to have good cards but haven't shown down anything.

Villain is very cautious and very tight.

Hero is UTG with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and raises to 300
Villain min-raises to 600 OTB folded back to hero who calls.

(T1500) Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

A pretty good flop for me. I check, villain bet T1000

(1) I call. Villain is probably not offering a continuation bet here; his range is AA,KK,QQ,JJ,TT. If you assume this, should I be raising the flop given the stack sizes?

(T3500) Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A terrible turn for me filling my represented hand. I bet T1500?! Villain says "U hav AK".
I figure he assumes I have the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] aswell. He thinks for a long time and calls.

(T6500) River: Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Ew. I'm pretty sure villain had a set (TT or JJ or QQ) because this player was unlikely to proceed without a draw to the best hand. I'm fairly sure I'm beaten, but my game will not allow me to check fold the river here. It seems like I'm asking the same question I was a year ago, but can I check fold the river or do I have to play my game against my read to prevent the possibility of being robbed.

I did the online thing, and led T2000 into the river and folded when villain min-raised to T4500. Villain showed TT and I lost most of my chips.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:05 PM

Default Re: WSOPC Flopped flush

I dont think enough players do this but you really should be betting these flops this deep. There are sooooo many turns/rivers that kill all action. The idea here is that if you cont bet a lot of the time it looks like you are just betting your A or K of hearts and you are giving your opponents enough of a reason to hang themselves.

Idealisticaly:
You lead 1000, they raise to 3000 you think for a while and push, and pray for no board pairs. Thats the best way to accumulate a massive amount of chips this deeep.

I probably play AA KK AK AQ with the heart the same way and get stacked a lot against a set.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:06 PM

Why did you bet this river? The only worse hand in his range you've assigned him that he might call with is KhKx. I don't see any value in a bet against that range.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:09 PM

will u check fold if villain bets T4500?
Old 02-21-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
will u check fold if villain bets T4500?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're range is correct, I think that you should fold. I don't think he's bluffing with AA/KK here and everything else has you beat.

I think I would have gone for the flop raise and played it faster. You say you are playing a lot of pots and villian may have a tough time giving you credit for a flopped flush or a set. You should be able to get a lot of value out of an overpair here. If you play it slower and another heart comes that would kill your action unless you are lucky and he has KhKx.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:31 PM

Preflop, I don't like this hand to raise with UTG, although I don't mind raising something like 75s. A suited ace is tricky to play as you get dominated.

Flop is ideal of course. I would checkraise because villain represented a big pair preflop miniraising an UTG raiser. He will not fold TT-AA that easily.

It may seem results oriented, but I would bet a little more on the turn.

I would check the river and decide whether to call or fold depending on the action and my read.

As played, maybe it's a leak, but I call the river for 2500 more in a 13000 pot.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:47 PM

You have to get money in on the flop. Bet/3bet. If you forget to bet, check raise. There's lots of [censored] turns. As played I don't know what I would do on the river. What's up with pf?
Old 02-21-2007, 04:53 PM

Lead this flop!
Old 02-21-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I did the online thing, and led T2000 into the river and folded when villain min-raised to T4500. Villain showed TT and I lost most of my chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop doing the "online thing." I don't really know what that means, but if you think that you are almost definitely behind on the river, usually DO NOT BET! The only time it makes sense to bet on the river when you do not have the best hand is when you bluffing (with a reason and plan), but you weren't bluffing here. You weren't making a think value bet, either.

If you are not sure if you have the best hand on the river, but think you very well may, you should often just check-call. There are some exceptions of course.

Do not bet on the river without a plan/reason (I guess the "online thing" means that your plan was to fold to a re-raise of any kind, which is a bad plan. A better plan would have been to check-call or check-fold. Do you see why?). I see people making horrible bets on the river all over the place...online, live, on TV, and it is mind-boggling to me.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do not bet on the river without a plan/reason (I guess the "online thing" means that your plan was to fold to a re-raise of any kind, which is a bad plan. A better plan would have been to check-call or check-fold. Do you see why?).

[/ QUOTE ]

no actually, as a blocking bet live this is fine

c/f might be better with like the strongest read of all time (until he confidently shows AK and you're like 'duhhhhhh')