Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 10:26 AM

Default 22 have $100K to invest only care about EV

If I lose it I don't really care since I can make another $100K pretty easy from playing bridge, EV and me not having to do much research (not more than a few days/weeks hopefully) are #1.

The options I've been looking at are

Mutual funds, foreign and small-large (have no idea which one to pick) cap aggressive growth funds mainly managed through fidelity. I don't feel I have the knowledge to make an informed speculation as to which industry will take off more than expected to invest in a single industry but also would be happy to hear opinions.

Buying property in Thailand, I don't expect u guys to know about this but if any of you have done much in foreign real estate I would love to hear any tips.

Getting into a real estate investment fund, not sure which one or even how to go about picking one, but probably something based in thailand (but foreign owned) since I see how much this country is booming.

Any suggestions are much appreiciated.

Oh, also how liquid the money is is not a big thing as long as I can take it out within 5-10 years just in case.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:39 AM

Default Re: 22 have $100K to invest only care about EV

foreigners can own buildings in thailand but can`t own land. so keep that in mind when investing in thailand
Old 02-21-2007, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Mutual funds, foreign and small-large (have no idea which one to pick) cap aggressive growth funds mainly managed through fidelity. I don't feel I have the knowledge to make an informed speculation as to which industry will take off more than expected to invest in a single industry but also would be happy to hear opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stay away from managed funds, less EV than index funds. Total Stock Market Index at Vanguard, you'll get the market return with lowest costs and without paying extra fees. If you are worried about the declining value of the dollar, add a foreign index fund (or funds) in a reasonable proportions (from 20%-50% depending upon how you feel about the dollar).

The only problem is that you have some variance risk. Fortunately index funds have the lowest variance of your equity choices. But over 5 years even with index funds you have a small chance of losing money. Over ten years your variance risk is approaching zero.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:05 PM

i'd suggest going for a global emerging markets fund, global growth fund and global property fund.

note i am basing this on little research, just what i believe will do well.

also i would set up a trading account where whenever you here from reliable sources that a share will increase, buy it for say $5K and enjoy some gains then sell.

if you want to make a reliable small gains over 10 years, go for index fund. if you want to try and make some decent money, at a risk, then go for the more volatile, riskier approach.

speak with any finance guys you know, anyone who may be able to give you reliable share tips. go with them.

index funds are the equivalent of giving your money to a winning poker player and telling him to grind at 50cent-$1 limit for the next 10 years. going for more volatile funds and share tips (only tips which are from people you feel you trust and have a reason not to want you to buy the stock for their own gains) is like giving your money to a 1-2nl player and say work your way up the levels. he may lose a lot, he may make you far richer.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:12 PM

put it all in chtr and hope SM is right.

Krishan
Old 02-21-2007, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
foreigners can own buildings in thailand but can`t own land. so keep that in mind when investing in thailand

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I spoke with an attourney. there are a few ways around this. They involve setting up thai corporation(s) and such. If u come to Koh Samui almost every large development is owned by foreigners.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd suggest going for a global emerging markets fund, global growth fund and global property fund.

note i am basing this on little research, just what i believe will do well.

also i would set up a trading account where whenever you here from reliable sources that a share will increase, buy it for say $5K and enjoy some gains then sell.

if you want to make a reliable small gains over 10 years, go for index fund. if you want to try and make some decent money, at a risk, then go for the more volatile, riskier approach.

speak with any finance guys you know, anyone who may be able to give you reliable share tips. go with them.

index funds are the equivalent of giving your money to a winning poker player and telling him to grind at 50cent-$1 limit for the next 10 years. going for more volatile funds and share tips (only tips which are from people you feel you trust and have a reason not to want you to buy the stock for their own gains) is like giving your money to a 1-2nl player and say work your way up the levels. he may lose a lot, he may make you far richer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah..........or actually DON'T invest money in something just because someone else says it is a good investment.

If you are going to to with index funds, no problems, can't really screw that up. If however you are going to go with individual stocks or other investments, then do your homework and make sure you know WHY you are investing in this opportunity. Then if after a few months it isn't going well, you won't have to panic and sell. You simply reexamine whether the situation is the same and the same reasoning that led you to buy still applies.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:28 AM

haha, you only care about EV? learn to trade index futures and make 100% a month.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:25 AM

Invest in Las Vegas Real Estate. You can get a big house for 250K and rent it out. The rent should cover your mortgage. I think prices there are def going to go up.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:20 PM

http://www.vanguard.com/jumppage/vipers/