Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 03:25 AM

Default 6/12 AKo, I\'m not sure if I like my line. Do you?

Fairly loose 6/12 game at the Oaks club in the Bay area. Villain sat down a few orbits ago and he had played a few hands pretty aggressively but losing them so he was down about 1/2 rack when this hand came up. I read him for being pretty LAGish but in a donky way. I hadn't seen him 3bet preflop yet though so I'm wasn't sure of his 3betting range. MP3 is bad, limps way to many weak hands and takes them too far postflop. Your typical weak-passive player.

I raise AKo in MP1, villain 3bets in MP2, MP3donk calls 3 bets cold, folded back to me, I cap, villain and MP3 calls.

Flop Q44r.

I check, villain bets, MP3 folds, I call.

(HU I lead this flop almost 100% of the time, but I thought vs. two opponents who would look me up with pretty much any pair here I would have to improve to win this hand, hence the check-call. Thoughts?)

Turn K

I bet, villain calls.

River Q for a final board of Q44KQ

I bet (with intentions of folding to a raise)....?
Old 02-21-2007, 08:10 AM

Default Re: 6/12 AKo, I\'m not sure if I like my line. Do you?

Sounds good to me, tho I prob pay off the river because pot is enormous.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:00 PM

The flop continuation bet is standard. His lack of aggression on the flop is either weakness or a huge hand like QQ. The passiveness on the turn would make me feel I'm okay now. The river gives you options. Would he call if he was holding an A or a weak pair? I see no reason not to bet but an option is to check and you may get a bet from a weaker hand where betting will usually only get a call from a stronger hand.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:24 PM

b/f seems right, but only if you can be sure a raise means you're beat. You say he played aggressively and was down a lot. He just might figure a last desperate bluff on AJ or TT/JJ would work... I'm not so sure a raise always means AQ. I'd just c/c I think, pot is a little too big to be making folds like this imo. I think he's definitely capable of bluffing here 10% of the time.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:43 PM

I really don't like your cap PF followed by a check on the flop. If you are going to cap then you really need to bet out on the flop. I agree that you have to call, but this is definitely one of those spots that if you are going to call you might as well bet.

As played, I would c/r this turn. You just spiked a strong hand on this board.

I don't think you can fold this river to a raise against an opponent who you have a read as somewhat raggy. The pot is at ~9BB going to the river. If you bet and get raised you are getting 12:1 on a call.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:51 PM

Oh, yeah, I didn't look at anything else but the river.

threads is right, if you cap, lead the flop. If he just calls, lead the turn as well, but if he raises, c/r the turn when you do hit. Always consider who has the initiative in the hand. I rarely c/r when I have initiative myself (screw play) unless villain is way over-doing his bluffs. Similarily, I don't often donk bet when I don't have initiative. Altough it's not bad if you think he won't bet.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:03 PM

initially i would lead the flop, sure you don't have a pair yet but the maybe they don't either. the pot is big, try fighting for it and you are going to call a bet anyways and/or *gulp* maybe call two bets anyways so betting is generally best here.

if you were intending on folding the river you are better off checkcalling against this guy. i know that sounds really weak but i would just about never not go to showdown vs the villain you described in this spot and if you really don't feel like your hand is worth 2bb's than check. personally i would bet and grit my teeth and call if raised.