Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2006, 10:19 PM

Default Can\'t help but brag

As a sort of treat for finishing two midterms on wednesday I bought into the $2500 limit event at the LA poker classic at commerce. I ran well for most of the tournament, and was the chip leader entering the final table (10 handed).

At this point a player said "no one gets $150K in chips without playing too many hands, I don't care what you say." He then asked me my name - its Jimmy - and I decided to be polite and asked him his. At this question there was sorta a murmur around the table, as he was Gavin Smith and apparently a big time tourney player who is clearly in a class far above myself. Someone else at the table paid a woman $100 for her spot at the rail to watch one of his final tables on the WPT.

I gathered from this that he was probably a little too loose and definitely aggressive. I knew that he thought that I was definitely too loose and probably aggressive.

Anyway a few hands into the final table, and Gavin raises on the CO. I 3bet A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] from the small blind, the big blind and Gavin both call.

The flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I bet, bb calls, Gavin raises, I 3bet, bb folds and Gavin calls.

The turn is a 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] I bet, Gavin raises, I 3bet and he calls. As it was a live tournament there was plenty of deliberation by both of us on this relatively simple board.

The river is a 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I check, Gavin bets, I raise, he calls. MHIG, and he claims to have had QJ which I think makes sense.

At this point Gavin bet me $100 that he would last longer than me. He had 9.5k and I had 170k. The big blind was 3000 and I gave him 18-1.

I ended up placing third and cashing almost $25k, but the peak of the night was probably the sexy on Gavin Smith. If you want to there is a right up at this link. Apparently my name is more interesting is Gordon, but what can you do.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:22 PM

Default Re: Can\'t help but brag

After he just calls your turn 3bet your river check is perfect against a good player. WP. I hope you collected on that $100 bet, and congrats on the cashing.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:24 PM

i always thought gavin was a quiet guy

not a douche
Old 02-10-2006, 10:34 PM

I didn't mean to give off the impression that he was a douche, he was actually very nice. The stuff about me playing too many hands was just friendly final table talk (I think?), and the bet was because he is probably a gambler and it makes a good story when he comes back to win the tourney and take an extra $1800 off some kid who thinks he is hot [censored].

Anyway he was very nice, although I didn't talk to him too much more as he busted 9th and I won his $100.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:23 AM

good story
Old 02-11-2006, 02:35 AM

Nice. The most impressive part, for me anyways, is buying in at a 2500$ tourney
Old 02-11-2006, 02:39 AM

Congrats man, good story
Old 02-11-2006, 03:27 AM

Old 02-11-2006, 03:39 AM

Haha that is fabulous.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:53 AM

First let me say your robot devil icon RULES ALL!! haha!

That is totally awesome! Way to go man. Now, the next time you play I'm gonna have to payoff some chick so I can watch you OWN UP >=) It cracks me up that they spelled your name wrong. Maybe we'll all just call you Mr. Gordon (at least they got it right in the final standings)