Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 03:03 AM

Default 2nd pair, draw heavy board, peel or not?

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.25/$0.5
10 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, 5 folds, Hero calls, BB checks.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4SB, 4 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, Hero ?

This is a hand from my last review session. Opponents are pretty loose and limp w any PP, any two cards &gt;=T, any suited and any ace (each from any position more or less). Peel one or not?
Old 02-20-2007, 03:23 AM

Default Re: 2nd pair, draw heavy board, peel or not?

Hero calls, you have second pair with a backdoor flush draw. Basically you have 6 outs if you consider the backdoor flush one out like I usually do with a strong one like this. This is basically just better than break even odds at this point. With 2 pair, 3 of a kind or an unlikely flush on the river this pot could be very profitable.

That being said if the turn does not bring you a favorable card (at least a heart but a king or 9 would be better) you need to fold to any aggression as you are most likely very far behind. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

If however the turn is a favorable card and we do prefer the king or 9 again but a heart will do you raise the turn. If you just have the heart r/c if you hit a king or 9 you want to cap it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

If you make it to the river then the last card should tell you all you need to know, again a king or 9 is great, your flush is even better. Even if you have 2 pair or 3 of a kind and the 3 flush for spades materializes I would still call down. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2007, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero calls, you have second pair with a backdoor flush draw. Basically you have 6 outs if you consider the backdoor flush one out like I usually do with a strong one like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

this seems pretty bad... you cant possibly consider 2 Ks and 3 9s full outs with a bet and 2 calls....

i call anyway tho.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:09 AM

Yeah take a flyer. I ending up calling on a flop with a pair+BD flush draw today and then I had to call 3 on the turn when I picked up a flush draw. Turned out that my 2-pair and trip outs were dead so your hand might not be as good as it appears.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:08 AM

I would have bet the flop and I go ahead and peel one off.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:31 AM

check the flop to see if things improve, if you hit a second pair or a heart falls you are in good shape.

It's also hard to say for sure what other people are on yet with all the checking, they could be betting on a flush draw.

Second pair is tricky situation where sometimes you call, nothing improves and you think to yourself why the hell did I do that for but then there are other times when I have found staying in won me the pot because someone was betting with a medium pocket pair or nothing.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:19 AM

Peel, and see the turn. Fold to a turn bet unimproved.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hero calls, you have second pair with a backdoor flush draw. Basically you have 6 outs if you consider the backdoor flush one out like I usually do with a strong one like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

this seems pretty bad... you cant possibly consider 2 Ks and 3 9s full outs with a bet and 2 calls....

i call anyway tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see not counting the remaining Ks as full outs, but why would the 9s not be full outs?
Old 02-20-2007, 10:45 AM

I'd fold.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its close but i call. We are closing the action and have good relative position on the flop bettor.