Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 03:02 AM

Default KQ top pair against overbet

Villain is fairly unknown, stats say he's aggro but I don't have any specific reads yet to back this up.

Anyways on to the hand: I just called the flop since I wanted to see a turn (and what he did) before sticking the stack in. The turn I might have folded to another PSB but that bet doesn't look like it wants to get called, so I thought it over and called. River brings in the draw and I figured a lot of his range on the turn was flush draws, but would he check those?

Full Tilt Poker
$0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Ring Game
6 Players
LegoPoker Hand Converter

<font color="black">Stack Sizes</font>
BB: $27.85
UTG: $27.55
Hero (MP): $37.85
CO: $22.90
BTN: $64.90
SB: $24.65

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($0.35, 6 players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1</font>, CO folds, BTN folds, SB folds, BB calls $0.75

<font color="black">Flop:</font> J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($2.1, 2 players)
<font color="red">BB bets $2</font>, Hero calls $2

<font color="black">Turn:</font> J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] ($6.1, 2 players)
<font color="red">BB bets $10.50</font>, Hero calls $10.50

<font color="black">River:</font> J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] ($27.1, 2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks
Old 02-20-2007, 03:08 AM

Default Re: KQ top pair against overbet

I probably gag and fold the turn. I think the deciding factor is that besides the obvious flush, many 2pair and straight hands are in his calling range pf if he's typical. Scared overbet could be QJ, T9, Q8, etc. As well as the obvious flush possible. Myabe its weak, but I hate calling with TPGK on this board.

PS: does anyone like a flop raise here?
Old 02-20-2007, 06:41 AM

It looks like he is protecting, possibly QJ, 22, AQ, same hand, small flush or a worse Q. He may be making this play on a draw, but I think more of his range is protection. That said, I hardly ever call this turn against an unknown. With the river flush card, I push - this is probably the last card he wanted to see.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably gag and fold the turn. I think the deciding factor is that besides the obvious flush, many 2pair and straight hands are in his calling range pf if he's typical. Scared overbet could be QJ, T9, Q8, etc. As well as the obvious flush possible. Myabe its weak, but I hate calling with TPGK on this board.

PS: does anyone like a flop raise here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do like a flop raise
Old 02-20-2007, 07:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It looks like he is protecting, possibly QJ, 22, AQ, same hand, small flush or a worse Q. He may be making this play on a draw, but I think more of his range is protection. That said, I hardly ever call this turn against an unknown. With the river flush card, I push - this is probably the last card he wanted to see.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree he looks like he's protecting and we are crushed by his range on the turn. Calling this turn is terrible. Pushing the river here is iffy given that villain only has 1/2 psb left but it may be EV+ (barely).
Old 02-20-2007, 07:48 AM

Loc: I AM A CALLING STATION
Old 02-20-2007, 10:31 AM

Fold the turn. There is no reason to play a guessing game against an unknown on such an iffy board IMO. Also, I dont think I'd bluff the river against an unknown either.