Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 07:07 PM

Default Paying for Hotel Rooms

In las vegas, is it possible to avoid paying with a credit card? It would be best for me to pay with only cash, is this ok?

thanks [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 02-19-2007, 07:13 PM

Default Re: Paying for Hotel Rooms

You can end up paying with cash, but you'll still have to present a credit card at the time of check in. (That way, they have a way to collect if you take off without paying.) That's prety much standard anywhere these days, Vegas or otherwise.

If you pay cash upon checkout, and don't have any outstanding fees, such as minibar charges, phone, etc., there shouldn't be a charge placed on your card. But they would have still taken down your card number prior to that time, and perhaps even checked to see if it was good. But if your only goal is to not have a charge show up on your statement, you should be able to avoid that. Just avoid anything that could add anything beyond room charges/taxes to your bill, and make sure you pay in full upon checkout.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:32 PM

you can leave a cash deposit in lieu of a CC at many places when you check in. You won't be able to researve a room though without a CC.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you can leave a cash deposit in lieu of a CC at many places when you check in. You won't be able to researve a room though without a CC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, most places want a CC and charge a % or your first nights stay on your card when you book the room as a deposit.

I have gone to Vegas and had that first night on my CC then had everyone pay me back that went on the trip with me and used the cash to pay for the rest of the nights upon checkout instead of having them just add them onto my credit card (although I did that once and now just charge it to my CC to whore cash back)
Old 02-19-2007, 08:45 PM

get a pre-paid cc...
Old 02-19-2007, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
get a pre-paid cc...

[/ QUOTE ]

ty, i dont want to explicitly say why i dont want to use my cc, as i believe that's against the rules
Old 02-19-2007, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In las vegas, is it possible to avoid paying with a credit card? It would be best for me to pay with only cash, is this ok?

thanks [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

As others have noted, it is pretty easy to avoid "paying" with a credit card. The trick is that you need a credit card to reserve the room.

If you do not have access to a CC for whatever reason, then you could get a Players card and get comped to a free stay. You should be able to have your host reserve a room without a card, and they are usually more lenient about requiring a CC on check-in if you go this route.

I have not tried this in Vegas, but it worked for me in Reno at the Atlantis. I put up a $100 cash deposit on check-in and got it all back on check-out, without ever showing a CC. They didn't even charge me for the glass topped coffee table that I demolished when I passed out in a drunken stupor.