Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 05:27 AM

Default Leave the table?

Ok, so in the current online environment, you have to be able to get the most out of all kinds of games.

Here's one thing I've been thinking about, your multitabling, and you have your name on a couple of lists. Your name comes up, and you get a seat in a game. A while ago, it had some characteristics that you liked, but you were fourth or fifth on the list, when you joined it, and you have been busy, and haven't kept up with whether or not the game is any good.

Anyway, you post in the Big blind, and the first hand you play is folded to you. This kind of indicates that the game is going to play tight, and right now you don't see any known donaters on the table. You got a SB's worth of profit off of this table, for playing one hand. Should you decline the SB, and try and find another table, perhaps one where there is more action, or do you stick it out, and hope that the seat that you took, wasn't the one that was generating all the action?

Anyway, what do people think about taking a one SB profit and bailing on this table?
Old 02-19-2007, 06:11 AM

Default Re: Leave the table?

I usually just get stuck and play for ten hours trying to get even.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:11 AM

I think players comfortable chipping away rock gardens will say stay, and those more comfortable with more active opponents will say bail?
Old 02-19-2007, 06:12 AM

You already "won" your SB. So basically, I look at this as freerolling for an orbit.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:18 AM

Do we know for sure that this is a crappy table? Or is this view just based upon a single hand?

I usually quite like adapting my play to the tight tables - getting to steal lot, etc. I personally quite like my winrate at these tables...

But if we don't want to be at the table I think leaving now would be silly. I'm sure the vast majority of players winrates would increase remarkably if they, by some great blessing, didn't have to pay blinds. We can now see another 9 hands (approx.) for the price of a SB. So I think we should pay our SB and enjoy our position for the following few hands and beyond.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:21 AM

I agree that leaving here would be silly. At the very least, pay the SB and see if you can't catch a premium hand in the next 9 hands. In the meantime you can get a slightly better evaulation of the table, and maybe you'll find your donor and want to stay.

That being said, I don't have the experience where I can decide quickly if a table is good for me. Right now I actually try to sit at different environments to pick up new skills.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:46 AM

well, you likely won't match that winrate for the rest of the session(1hand=1sb, that's 50bb/100). that said, i would just check the availability for tables real quick, or just make a change. i try to stay aware of the table situation for the limits i am playing while on a less than spectacular table, always staying on a waiting list for a "better" table. when the seat opens, if i want it i take it. if i like where i'm at, well, i usually take the other seat anyway and decide after a few more orbits(or less).
Old 02-19-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think players comfortable chipping away rock gardens will say stay, and those more comfortable with more active opponents will say bail?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I can chip away at the rock garden, but it is hard work, and it is usually a lot harder than finding a couple of loose passive players, or a maniac, where the profits can come in several big bets, instead of the couple of small bets that you can chip off in a rock garden.

I guess I just find it a lot more fun to play in looser games, because a lot more hands are playable. In those tight games, you can expand your range preflop if you are first in, but if you can't get first in, you have to contract your range, and you have to play a lot more cautiously postflop, which also isn't as much fun.

When I'm playing a lot of tables, I usually end up dumping these tables within a lap or two, anyway, so I was just wondering if I shouldn't dump the table immediately.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:22 PM

Bob:

[ QUOTE ]
When I'm playing a lot of tables, I usually end up dumping these tables within a lap or two, anyway, so I was just wondering if I shouldn't dump the table immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since great tables aren't all that common (it isn't like 3 years ago when I could just close the bad table and immediately find a dozen great ones) , I usually will give a table a chance---maybe an orbit or 2 before giving up. I am often surprised to find a couple of unknown loosish donators after initially thinking the table was completely craptastic.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:43 PM

I treat this situation as other have stated - a free orbit.