Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2007, 10:13 PM

Default $5 sng low PP facing minreraise.

so i feel like this hand should be pretty basic but at the time i was pretty confused what the best line was.
a little background: blinds are 20-40 he has an 17-13 lead and hasn't once folded to a preflop raise, in or out of position. in the second level i tightened up my raising requirements and started limping a lot because he was frequently (~1/3 of the time) 3betting allin from the big blind. he may have been doing this becuase i was using position to take some pots away from him postflop and generally out play him but i can't be sure. anyway, on to the hand:
i draw two black fours and raise to 120, he minraises to 200. i don't feel comfortable folding getting 4:1 despite how much of my stack this represents. i also don't feel comfortable 4betting allin because i think he folds 0% of his hands most of which i'm flipping against and some have me dominated. i felt he was capable of making this reraise with hands as weak as K-rag or Q-rag despite this being the first time he's done this.
anyway, i called with the intention of getting allin on flops that don't contain an ace or multiple high cards. obviously i'm also happy to felt if i hit a four.
discuss.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:20 PM

Default Re: $5 sng low PP facing minreraise.

With people that call every 3x raise I make at the $5 or $10, I usually experiment with highe raises, sometimes I can get away with them calling up to 6x the bb. If they're going to call you with trash, make them pay for it.

Against a player like this I would probably find a better spot.

Shoving any flop without high cards is not the best strategy against someone who will call almost anything, you'll end up having to quit playing the rest of the night if he actually hits the flop or sucks out on you, you'll get so angry.

Also, these sorts of players often reraise with trash, I had KK or QQ the other day, raised to 5x (same type of opponent) he reraises me, I call, flop is all unders, 824 or something, he bets, I shove, he calls w 24o.

I should've shoved preflop obviously, but we were pretty deep and it was still in the first or second blind structure.

The point is, get a pretty good hand preflop, raise him higher than normal and valubet him to death. If he reraises and you have a really good hand, just shove it or reraise him... these players will suck out on you but if you make it expensive to play junk you will win a much higher percentage of the time rather than going into it with all your chips in a spot that isn't all that great (he might miss 2/3 of the time on the flop but he also might call and draw out, or already have a pocket pair higher than yours, too easily dominated preflop and postflop against this type of trash player, I'd probably prefer a shove preflop if you have to play this hand).
Old 02-18-2007, 11:50 PM

you say that you'd prefer to find a better spot, what do you mean by that? are you recommending folding preflop? if you take a flop what boards do you consider safe or are you only getting allin with a set?
4betting allin preflop makes the hand easier but i don't think it gives my opponent the opportunity to make a mistake (because i think he's calling 100% of the time and most of his range is getting the right odds to call).
anyone think they have a good line for this hand?
Old 02-19-2007, 12:00 AM

I probably wouldn't raise a 44 against a player that reraises a lot of stuff I'm raising. I'd be more inclined to raise a JTs, T9s type hand that if I flop top pair I'm beating a lot more, or if I hit a draw I can go in against a lot of garbage.

I just feel the 44 might win 55-60% of the time you're all in against this guy, but there's better ways to beat this type of player (limping small PP and small aces and taking advantage of his aggression when you flop an ace or a 4 is one example). If this is the type of guy I am describing, then raising 44 and getting into a situation where it's shove or fold is probably not the best scenario. Limp, call a 3x raise, see what happens. Limp, checked, see a flop for 30, ect. That's my opinion but I want to see what some of the other guys that have been playing HU longer think and why.

Edit: From how you describe him, this seems like the type of player that will call down pretty light and the type of player you can get a lot of value out of top pairs+ most of the time. This is why I favor the limp/call reasonable raise method. If you're raising and he's going to call a lot of shoves, why shove this hand? You could just as easily have an overpair on the flop and if he's going to call that why don't you wait til you have top pair, overpair or better and shove? If he's not going to call without something good then shoving this flop in a lot of situations might be a good idea, but how you describe him he doesn't seem like the type of player to let go of anything worthwhile.