Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2007, 07:24 PM

Default Home Game Get\'s together Quickly - Friday Night at P\'s (Pics)

I put together a quick home game Friday night which turned into a nice little gathering of 8 guys playing cards till 1:30am. My wife was out of town (in LA to trying and get on The Price is Right Game Show) so I called the guys and a few showed.

At about 4:00pm eastern time I called my poker buds for a game, I was jonesin' and the wife was out of town, so let's play cards! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

A few early birds showed up at 6:30pm, five guys including a new guy who was very good, so we played a nice little cash game until everyone else showed up at 8:00pm. Buy-in was $10.00 (.10/.25 Blinds), everyone played pretty tight until for the first orbit then it seemed the guys loosened some and the bets started coming out. I managed to eek a meager $4.50 profit for the 45 minutes or so we played. Every big hand I had no one would call $1.25 raise when I played. Everyone I play with is getting to know me, I've been TAG for a bit now and I'm not getting the action I used too get in the past, more on this in a just a bit. Anyhow, great fun and I really want to play more cash games in the future.

The remaining couple of guys ended up coming over at about 8:45pm so the small single table tournament began. We had nine guys total. Nothing fancy, only $15 to play and that got you T600 in chips with blinds starting at 5/10 and progressively going up, no re-buys or add-ons. We ended up playing two tournaments in all. The first tournament paid top three and second tournament paid top two because we had two players leave after the first one ended.

I was out in fourth place in the first tournament and fifth in the second. I was dealt some pretty poor cards all night with only a few good starting hands. Here’s an example of my play that everyone now knows: I’m on the button with AKo, two or three people just call the blind, I raise 3BB and everyone folds. Prior to this hand, I was not playing hardly anything only because I had crappy cards all night. Another instance, I’m MP with A10s, I raise 2BB just to be different, everyone folds to chip leader who’s in the BB, he calls and the flop comes a little rainbow with no spades. I bet 4BB just to see if I can push him off any hand. He thinks and re-raises me all in. I fold and he turns over Q3o and says to me, “I knew you didn’t have anything”. I flip up my A10 and tell him he played that well. I only managed to win a heads-up on one hand the entire first tournament. I got it all in with 10 10 against a 9 9 hand and it held up.

The guy who one the first tournament was very, I mean VERY, loose aggressive (LAG). He hasn’t played with us in quite a while. He’s a nice guy however he plays like a maniac. He played just about any two cards in front of him during the first few blind levels. He managed to hit a couple of hands right out of the gate which had everyone stumped. He loves to play this type game and when it works to his advantage he usually can over people in the later stages of the tournament. He was chip leader I dealt with earlier. We are at 50/100 blind level and I was almost to the felt and just sitting out of this hand:

Chip leader (LAG-amaniac Danny) is on the button, first time real money player (Very Solid Dave) is SB, Jeff is BB, JeFSU is UTG, I’m sitting MP, and Architect (Randy) is in the cut-off.

Cards are dealt – JeFSU folds, I fold, Randy bets T240 all in, Danny raises from the button another T300 to push Dave out, he thinks and decides to re-raise with his remaining T425, Danny calls and three people are heads-up. See the below picture for the dramatics of this hand.

Danny is in control from the flop, three spades…

Dave is getting the sick feeling in his stomach like I had all night…

Randy is not giving up hope, he has a Q of spades and hopes any spade but the 9 comes on the turn…

Turn card brings mayhem and river card crushes two opponents’ hopes of finishing in the money.

Second tournament I got the same exact cards I had in the first. I played A8s all the way to the river on the first hand against Solid Dave but never managed to hit it. He got a third of my chips right out of the gate so I coasted/folded around till the 5th level blinds and tried to double up with AK in the SB. Dave called with JJ and his hand held up so I was dealing the rest of the tournament. Very ho-hum night for me but still a good time. I enjoy playing and I have begun my countdown for a vacation trip to Vegas sometime in late March or early April. I’m trying to get as many sessions as I can in before I leave since I will be playing more tournaments on this upcoming trip.

Also, today (Sunday) I decided to start building my poker table. My wife is such a great lady, I'm glad she's letting me do this. Anyhow, I just got started I'll be picking out the felt and rail color this week and update this post when finished. Here are a few more picks of the work in progress:

Hope you enjoyed the read!

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 02-19-2007, 03:18 AM

Default Re: Home Game Get\'s together Quickly - Friday Night at P\'s (Pics)

nice, table looks like it going to be sweet

nice 350 as well
Old 02-19-2007, 11:52 AM

I love reading stuff like this, especially with pics. Ty, nh.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:41 PM

Nice report- a few questions:

Why weren't you in LA to cheer her on? Did she get on TPIR?

"My wife is such a great lady, I'm glad she's letting me do this"

MY wife plays.... :P

I hate you for the warm-looking, no-snow-n-ice grass picture.

The table looks as if you're only planning on seating 8. Is it only 74"? I look forward to the finished pictures.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why weren't you in LA to cheer her on? Did she get on TPIR?

[/ QUOTE ]
She left on Thursday with kind of short notice from her co-workers in her office. She works for a major airline. We travel as much as we can together, on this trip I could not go because of my work. And no, she did not get on the show but one of co-workers did and also won the showcase.

[ QUOTE ]
MY wife plays.... :P

[/ QUOTE ]
My wife is not into poker one bit, but she puts up with my antics so I guess she tolerates it.

[ QUOTE ]
I hate you for the warm-looking, no-snow-n-ice grass picture.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry...Had to actually put on long pants and light jacket this past Sundday here in sunny Florida...It was SO COLD, it got all the way down to 42 degrees Saturday night..BRRRRRR!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
The table looks as if you're only planning on seating 8. Is it only 74"? I look forward to the finished pictures.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's two pieces of 4x8 plywood. It can seat 8 very comfortably, but I know I can fit 10 pretty easily as well. I'm going to try and finish it this coming weekend, I'll post the pictures as soon as I'm done.

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 02-19-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nice 350 as well

[/ QUOTE ]

It's my son's 350z. The blue Sport Trac with the Florida Gator's tag on the front is my ride.

P [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2007, 09:02 PM

sounds awesome, i want in