Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2007, 05:53 PM

Default PPT: james woods folding winning hand at showdown

saw this last night on local TV... could be very old news to others.

anyhow, PPT tourney at mirage... feature table (harrington, rodman, zolotow, flack, hellmuth... at various times)..

james woods folds the winning hand (pair of 4's) on the showdown... i'd never seen that before and obviously a huge oversight... i wonder if he assumed his 4's weren't good or if he didn't notice his 4 paired on the river.

i've somewhat had that. drawing towards a flush and barely realize i've hit runner/runner straight. or my first "touch the cards" game ever, we didn't realize i split the pot due to counterfeiting.

anyone seen someone fold winning hand on showdown on TV before..... i don't see much downside to him showing a losing hand in his situation. wasn't like he'd tried to steal the blinds or steal a pot. so i think he should have shown. always a small risk when you don't show.

anyhow, curious what others thought... pretty funny!! i get the idea james talks too much at the table. maybe he doesn't care that much about winning.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:55 PM

Default Re: PPT: james woods folding winning hand at showdown

ugh, i folded the winner at showdown at PCA for like 7k, which was pretty significant at the time. it was a situation where i flopped bottom pair and a flush draw, and the flush didn't come. the river went check check and the guy showed me a busted K high flush draw, no pair, i mucked.

i realized what i had done as the dealer was shuffling the next hand. i didn't say a word though of course. the good thing is i was able to totally block it out of my mind and play well afterwards.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:34 PM

I too, found Woods' mucking of the winning hand interesting. I also enjoyed watching Tom Franklin getting the drinks poured on his back, when the camera hit the waitress' tray.

NOTE: Now, whenever A-Channel,Barrie, is scheduled to show a Saturday night movie at 9pm, they will air the PPT episode earlier, on Friday night-Saturday morning at 1:35 am eastern,after Conan. I just noticed it listed in the Tv guide,but I assume it's correct. They still rerun it the next night at Midnight,as well. You can also watch the same PPT episodes on Saturday's at 6pm on Citytv Calgary (ch.#140 on Rogers Digital).
Old 02-19-2007, 05:59 PM

I remember watching this hand a few months ago on the first run. Though it was obviously a mistake, I really think that Woods was justified in folding his hand and his fold actually made sense.

I don't remember what everyone held and I don't even remember who won the pot, but I know he had a pair of threes in the hole. Anyway, three way pot, check check check on all three streets. Woods finally hit his 4 on the river, had no kicker and the 4 was the lowest card on the board. The guy who won the pot said after the final check-check-check, something like, "I have a pair". Woods obviously assumed that if the guy had a pair then his 4 can't be any good. Also, he did realize it as soon as the other guy turned up his cards. But he had already mucked at that point, but you could see by the look on his face, that he realized his mistake.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Though it was obviously a mistake, I really think that Woods was justified in folding his hand and his fold actually made sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes he made a mistake. no it doesn't make sense
Old 02-20-2007, 02:22 PM

james woods is a nit, i hate how he thinks he can play cuz he is so awful, please someone else agree on this
Old 02-20-2007, 04:32 PM

Here's the James Woods laydown hand