Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2007, 04:25 PM

Default JJ OOP

just sat down, this is my 2nd button round. Uh, my stupid bet pot script wasn't working so I accidentally bet 2 in stead of 2.5

Full Tilt Poker
$0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Ring Game
5 Players
LegoPoker Hand Converter

<font color="black">Stack Sizes</font>
Hero (BB): $49.7
UTG: $144.35
CO: $49
BTN: $43.80
SB: $71.55

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($0.75, 5 players)
UTG calls $0.50, CO folds, BTN folds, SB folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2</font>, UTG calls $1.50

<font color="black">Flop:</font> 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($4.25, 2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $3</font>, UTG calls $3

<font color="black">Turn:</font> 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] ($10.25, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">UTG bets $10</font>, Hero calls $10

<font color="black">River:</font> 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] ($30.25, 2 players)
Hero checks ...
Old 02-18-2007, 04:27 PM

Default Re: JJ OOP

I like betting the turn and shutting down if called/raised more than I do checking/calling.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like betting the turn and shutting down if called/raised more than I do checking/calling.

[/ QUOTE ]
why?
Old 02-18-2007, 08:30 PM

By checkin the turn you basically say "I missed the flop completely, tried a c-bet but that failed and now I give up the hand" or "I have a hand but that Ace scared the hell out of me".

However, you didn't miss the flop, and you still have a hand on the turn. By betting you get the information you need. I would bet 3/4 pot there and fold to a raise. also if he calls it and the hearth comes on the river he probadly has a pair of aces or a flush. I would check and fold to a bug bet then.

check-calling is the worst to do though on the turn. With the check you can get yourself in a ugly position where the villain can bluff at you. and renember that any scarecard to you could very well be a scarecard to him too. He might very well be holding something like 99 here.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By checkin the turn you basically say "I missed the flop completely, tried a c-bet but that failed and now I give up the hand" or "I have a hand but that Ace scared the hell out of me".

[/ QUOTE ]
if this encourages worse hands to take a stab at me I don't see why this is a bad thing. ESpecially of those worse hands would fold when I 2x barrel on that ace.

[ QUOTE ]

However, you didn't miss the flop, and you still have a hand on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
since when is disguising our hand a bad thing?

[ QUOTE ]

By betting you get the information you need.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't relaly agree with teh whole "betting for information" concept and I htink it's pretty flawed. A better reason I can see for betting the turn is for value/protection against FDs.

[ QUOTE ]

check-calling is the worst to do though on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree until someone makes a good argument otherwise.

[ QUOTE ]

With the check you can get yourself in a ugly position where the villain can bluff at you. and renember that any scarecard to you could very well be a scarecard to him too. He might very well be holding something like 99 here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, this is pretty much why I checked, b/c there are so many worse hands in his range that will stab on that obvious scare card but fold to my bet.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:36 PM

I think checking the turn could be good if you knew more about the villain's tendancies. Against an unknown villain i think you are going to give yourself a very tough decision on the river.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:47 AM

i think checking the turn is best but these rivers are where i always go wrong so i dont know..lol
Old 02-19-2007, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

if this encourages worse hands to take a stab at me I don't see why this is a bad thing. ESpecially of those worse hands would fold when I 2x barrel on that ace.

since when is disguising our hand a bad thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this argument is way overused because people justify slowplaying or calling down with marginal hands with it. You have a hand that can take absolutely no heat and that doesn't want to give a free card to a flush draw. You don't really look to find ways to fool villain into giving you value here by checking but you are maneuvering yourself into a nasty spot. You should be delighted to take the pot down here. There are so many river cards you don't want to see and that turn card was disastrous in itself. So bet/fold the turn, imo.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:29 AM

I fold to this turn bet. He was willing to bet the pot, so I would tend to give him respect. The ace is a bad card for you, as the nut flush draw just improved to top pair, and AT makes aces up. Even if you do have the best hand, you could be bluffed out on the river anyway, or outdrawn if he's drawing to a smaller flush. Just fold this one and observe this guy's play a little more closely.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold to this turn bet. He was willing to bet the pot, so I would tend to give him respect. The ace is a bad card for you, as the nut flush draw just improved to top pair, and AT makes aces up. Even if you do have the best hand, you could be bluffed out on the river anyway, or outdrawn if he's drawing to a smaller flush. Just fold this one and observe this guy's play a little more closely.

[/ QUOTE ]

As played I think this is best. It looks like he is trying to build the pot here, i don't think he bets this much for value with a worse hand very often. Your line looks weak so if he is aggresive he may be bluffing a fair amount of the time. I think if you are calling here you have to have an idea of if the villain will fire again on the river. This is a terrible spot to play a big pot so i think giving up now after checking the turn is probably ok.