Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2007, 09:09 PM

Default Reno B&M Chip dump tourney thread

TT locked it and i'm not sure where the tourney occured, but I played in a a.m. tourney at the Atlantis in Reno where this is extremely possible. However, it's such small stakes I can't see it being worth it. The tourney I played in was $20 bucks to enter, and it wasn't table stakes, it's a race. Whoever has the most chips at the end wins and the blinds are fairly small so it's conceivable that you could amass over half the chips in play either by honest means or dishonest and then fold your way to victory.

I actually won the tourney I played in, but I can definitely see where collusion in a tourney of this nature would be easily possible.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:15 PM

Default Re: Reno B&M Chip dump tourney thread

Circus Circus is the same way, but paid more than one spot the last time I played it. Like djoyce, I also could easily see this exact type of collusion in these tourneys.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:59 PM

I have no problem confirming that the tournament was at the Atlantis. I just wasn't sure I was suppose to name names. It is a small tournament but a perfect one for beginners. When we got 3 handed the lady in the SM had the most chips, the other local was second and I was third in the BB but we were all very close in chips. He called the BB ($100), she pushed and I folded trash. He called her all in. I thought at the time it was a strange call with such bad cards because he had been playing well and of course, as mentioned, the woman didn't play another hand. Why would she? It didn't click right away what had really happened. To add insult to injury, the second place finisher gets a "free" pizza which isn't really free since the coupon is for less than any pizza on the menu. At least the pizza was excellent.

This may seem like a small thing. It's no big deal to blow off $20. I was really there for the noon tournament but just went early. However for those involved, it's a nice little scam since they are making $70 per hour. I've already decided Reno is a waste of time so won't be back there anyway but I thought our beginner players should have a heads up on this situation since it is the type of tournament they may enter. Having a normal sit'n'go payout structure would be much better. The "winner takes all" payout just invites collusion.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:26 PM

How much time was left?
In the "timed" tournaments, you can have some strange strategy near the end (as you mentioned, once she had 70%+ of the chips, she didn't have to play a hand). Before the hand, the guy who called had say a 30% chance of winning the tournament. If he wins that hand, he has nearly 100%. Not saying there wasn't something going on, but 'timed tournament' plus 'winner take all' can create some weird poker.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:34 PM

I only once observed a 'timed' tournament.
And I have never bothered to even TRY to enter one ever since...
Old 02-18-2007, 09:32 PM

I think there were about 4 minutes left. The 1st and 2nd rounds are limit and the 3rd is NL, 20 minutes each. Maybe it was late enough for anything to happen but if that was the case, why not just push? He was definitely covered by the woman who pushed.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:47 AM

Soooo... the theory here is that in a tourney with 3 players left, and the blinds probably being big, someone called an all-in with less than wonderful cards, so that proves collusion? Pretty often I see people posting "they didn't play like I would have so that proves they're cheating" when really all it proves is they don't play like you.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:53 AM

yeah you might have just used bad tactics here....you probably should have called assuming your cards were live.

The reason I won was that I had basic trash, something like 5 7 3 but all the 4s, 6's, 8's, 2s, and 9's were live, plus all of my cards were live as well. Once that tourney gets down to the end you have to make a move to amass a lot of chips or you lose. So I basically kept calling while 2 guys with better hands than me kept raising. We ended up all in on third street and I ended up spiking a straight to triple up. After that I cruised to a win. Sure my play was wrong in a vacuum, but in the context of this tourney it was my only chance to win. That might have been the way this tourney went as well. I'm sure the guys I sucked out on thought I was a giant fish, but actually I played it 100% correctly.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:35 AM

The blinds were not big. They were 50/100. I knew someone would give this response assuming I was only posting because I lost. That is not the case. I did it as a heads up for newer players. That is all. I never whine about losing in a tournament, no matter what the buy in is.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no problem confirming that the tournament was at the Atlantis.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played that one morning a few years ago. It was $15 to get in then (I think), but I distinctly remember the pizza for 2nd. 2 tables ran, they packed in like 12 per table. The one I played had a guy with just over half of chips at the table, but another player and myself (about even between us) took turns pushing on his blinds. He was folding everything off hoping to just take it all down, we were trying to play quickly and steal enough to have him under 50% of the chips. For $15 it was a fun hour with the chat at the table, but I sure wouldn't play it again.

What games and limits are spread there now? I will be heading out to Reno later this year and wonder if it is even worth the time to head out that way to the Atlantis.