Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2006, 06:06 PM

Default Potential scooping hand and I think I misplayed everything.

I'm dealt Qd 2s 5h Ah UTG in 1/2 O/8 and I limp in. It's a passive game and so I think this is correct though I know the hand isn't all that special. Still, possible mistake #1.

6 see the flop of Jh 7h 6d.

One of the blinds bets 2/3 of the pot. I smoothcall. Possible mistake #2. Guy to my left miniraises. One coldcalls this and the original better calls back to me.
Now I think about repopping it and I really should have done this. This is probably the biggest mistake I made in just smoothcalling again.

Turn brings the Qh completing my flush.

OK, now I have a decision to make. Pros and cons of betting?

It's true I charge all the low chasers. But people in this game and at this table have a habit of giving it up if it costs too much to draw to one more card. So winning the pot outright has its benefits. But what card do I really fear on the river?

So if I check and the river bricks off I get nothing from the table. But...if the river hits low I could potentially get 3/4 of a huge pot.

So check or bet?
Old 01-03-2006, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Potential scooping hand and I think I misplayed everything.

Play it hard.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Still, possible mistake #1.

[/ QUOTE ] What position were you in? the later position I have, the more likely I am to raise it up.

[ QUOTE ]
One of the blinds bets 2/3 of the pot. I smoothcall. Possible mistake #2. Guy to my left miniraises. One coldcalls this and the original better calls back to me.
Now I think about repopping it and I really should have done this. This is probably the biggest mistake I made in just smoothcalling again.

[/ QUOTE ] again... I vary it positionally. In early position, I want additional callers so I might be tempted to smoothcall to see if others come along. Since there are no stack sizes... I am not certain after the raise and minraise, what's left. You have 15 outs to a low and 8 safe outs to the nut flush... I'm pretty sure at that point, you should just push.

On the turn, you have no excuse for not betting. If they fold, so be it. By checking you are allowing the minraiser who might have a set to outflop you and you are allowing a low to hit... your low is easily counterfeited and you could lose half the pot. BET.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:00 PM

Preflop is fine. On the flop, I raise the pot. A very nice flop for you, stick the money in now. On the turn, you have to bet. There is no way you are checking this and giving free cards to a set, two pair, etc.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:55 AM

what the others said. I'm raising the flop for value. I'm betting this turn and charging anyone to outdraw my hi or to chop the lo.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:24 AM

#1- Limp is good with a nice scoop hand like that. To many people raise that hand (A 2 X X) and end up pushing out the hands that will pay you off. Raising in O8, preflop, is for isolating when you have a high hand and to buy the button.

#2- I like the smooth call here. Depends what level your playing at also. .50-1 pl or nl smooth call is good cause you still have nothing. Im Tight Passive though at O8 cause no one know's what there doing. Higher level at 3-6 I like a reopening on the flop to possibly take it down there and then lead huge on turn regardless of what falls. The higher level players are thinking about there hand and yours so you have to adjust. Im interested at what level this hand was at. I am always adjusting to the players. Low levels= boring just show the nuts, High levels= making plays.

#3- Once again level of players. Lower limit equals jam the pot because the donks will chase the lows and call down there 2nd and 3rd nuts. Higher levels I would check representing a set and hit with the checkraise when someone bets, again regardless of what falls.

Not saying any of this is right or wrong, just my opinion and how I would have played.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To many people raise that hand (A 2 X X) and end up pushing out the hands that will pay you off. Raising in O8, preflop, is for isolating when you have a high hand and to buy the button.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree. If I have a good hand, particularly with scoop potential, I want to sweeten the pot allowing me to get stacks in. All raises don't have to drive people out... If there are 6 people in the pot for a quarter and you raise it up to $1... at most tables I'm at, you'll have 5 callers. Now... you've gotten money in when you have a great hand AND you are more likely to take a monster pot should the flop hit you well.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But what card do I really fear on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are afraid of a Q,J,7,6, for cracking your high, 2 and A, for counterfeiting your low draw. Your nut high is vulnerable, make them pay to beat it.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:19 AM

Pre-flop:No reason to raise this hand utg.This type of hand likes company.Pull them in.

Flop:Your analysis is right imo.Smooth call & then re-raise.You don't want to narrow the field with nut-nut draws.You're in a pull situation with good equity.

Turn:Bet.Make players with flush draws,straight draws,trips 2pair,low(hell,anything)either pay to play or get out.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:35 AM

Your right. A lot has to do with the level your playing. If your table is loose than definately raise. In your ex. though 6 people have entered, mini raise is an absolute with position but i would not over raise and kill my action.So many people donk of there chips by calling everything it get's so easy to auto pilot and just smooth call for a flop. I reckon Im giving up some +EV by not raising but Im also increasing fold equity when I limp and miss flop. I dont know. Neat thing about the game is so many styles can work.

Kurto, have you read Zee's high low split for advanced player's?