Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2007, 08:23 PM

Default Which Cash Book To Start With Out Of These?

Hi all. I play at the Micro Tables on Full Tilt, in No-Limit Holdem. I have a few cash books at my fingertips, and wondering which order i should read them in, and which i should start with.

The books are:
Super System 2-Brunson
Holdem Poker For Advanced Players-Sklansky
No Limit Holdem Theory and Practice-Sklansky
No Limit Texas Holdem - Largay

Some people seem to have recommended TAP to start with at the lower limits on another forum. Just wondering what you guys think

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2007, 08:55 PM

Default Re: Which Cash Book To Start With Out Of These?

Wow, tough choices.

First off, I assume you're playing no limit, right?

Hold'em Poker For Advanced Players is a limit hold'em book. It really doesn't apply to NL.

I like Largay's book. Some people have problems with it, but I think it's good.

No Limit Hold'em: Theory & Practice is good, but it's not exactly an easy read. I had to read it three times before I "got" it.

SS is good, but it really applies most to deep stack NL. In today's capped buy-in games the stratagy isn't nessasarily optimum.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:57 PM

Ok, so which would u recommend i start with?
Old 02-16-2007, 09:57 PM

Sorry. Largay.

From there, you're best bet is Harrington on Hold'em Vol 1&2. Yeah it's on tournament play, but the opening rounds of a large multi-table tournament play very much like full ring cash games.

By the time you're finished with those, Ed Miller's new book should be in stores. By all accounts, that will be the money book.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:52 PM

I'd say go with SS2 first. You'll think that it's really enlightening on how to play power poker at first and that it's good stuff, but the more and more you think about it, your not gonna be playing at the stakes Doyle does with the buy ins he does, so his all in with the worst of it strategy that will intimidate people when it comes to 100K pots will not work at I guess the limits you'll be at. He even says you'll have to adjust to the game your in, which in my opinion means a lot of his advice is pretty tough to apply.

After you read SS2 read NLHETP. If you already know all the concepts in this book before hand I'll be surprised. I highly believe it will help your game in a lot of areas, and basically will get you thinking about the things you need to be thinking about when at the poker table instead of just reacting at all times.

After you've read both, you should be well rounded in knowledge about No Limit, and should overall end up a better player. Both books helped me. I hope this gives you some help.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:02 PM

Largay for those games. Then keep an eye open for Flynn and Mehta's new NL book coming out soon. That would probably be the second one to read. TAP would also be OK, but it's pretty slim on the "practice".
Old 02-18-2007, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Largay for those games. Then keep an eye open for Flynn and Mehta's new NL book coming out soon. That would probably be the second one to read. TAP would also be OK, but it's pretty slim on the "practice".

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Jeff. I was thinking the same thing, since i have heard Largay's book deals primarily with low stakes no limit cash games.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:40 AM

I'd say HOH1. It has to be the best ABC poker guide guide to NL be it cash or tourny. I can't say I've found the Largay book to be all that useful in practice at all - all the advice seems a bit wooly to me, despite it being aimed at the low-limit no-limit game. I guess if you are already OK at NL but want to read about how the different stakes etc change the game it's interesting but overall I was disappointed.

HOH1 offers solid advice on what to do in most common situations and the extensive Q&A examples are a great teaching method. I know it's a tourny book but it seems to me that most of it is very relavent. LGB is also useful I think.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:59 PM

People often recommend Harrington V 1 for cash games. It is a TOURNAMENT book. Yes there are similarities between early tournament and cash games but unless you are expert at determining what those are I'd be very careful with that advice. Yes the hand examples in HoH are far more plentiful which is a little bit of a weakness of Largay, but still he gets at what really makes the money in cash games at this level.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:58 AM

SuperSystem, after you graduate from that check out upcoming danny ashman's "very advanced high stakes shorthanded NLHE play"