Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2007, 12:37 PM

Default AK situation

UTG just sat down and didn't wait for the blinds - posted right away.

I'm quite sure this is a fold against unknown, but the backdoor flush + TPTK is very tempting. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Does anything less then 2 pair ever raise my big bet? Semi-bluffing is possible too, but I have the A of diamonds.

No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

Button ($60)
SB ($50)
BB ($100)
UTG ($100)
MP ($11.55)
Hero ($100)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A, K.
UTG calls $1, Hero raises to $5, CO calls $5, SB calls $4.5, 1 fold, UTG calls $4.

Flop: ($~20) 8, K, 2 (3 players)
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $18, 2 folds, UTG raises to $45, Hero?

PS played in a room with no hand historys, just changed PokerStars one ...
Old 02-16-2007, 12:42 PM

Default Re: AK situation

88 and 22 is the only hands i can see him hold that beats you, other then that you´re ahead. I think he most likely has a flushdraw or something like KJ/KQ or ever KT here, so i would push.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:44 PM

Yah, I don't know, this is probably an easy fold for others, but this just seems fishy to me somehow. The only thing he could be repping here is 888 or 222, and that's not how I would expect him to play it. After the folds around I feel like he's likely to be making a play and trying to pick off an obvious c-bet on a board that people love to pick off c-bets on. Without a read again it's probably just best to muck - but I think there's a good chance we're ahead here, and that we'll see him c/r c-bets again in the session before too long.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:30 PM

Limp-calling UTG means this guy probably isn't a genius. Like others have said, we're only really afraid of 88 and 22, and I think some KJ-type hand or a diamond SC is also possible. Plus we have position.

I'd generally call if we were deeper and revaluate the turn (hoping to maximize against a weaker king), but we're both already committed if I call the flop anyways, so I think I'd just push. There's so many more combos of diamond/combo draws and king-paired hands than the 6 sets.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:39 PM

Limping utg means he has a low pocket pair a lot of the time like 22 IMO.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:45 PM

I dont't think people who post out of position and limp-call preflop play a flush draw like this. They are the type who would call a pot-sized bet on the flop with a flush draw, then play passive if they hit on the turn, and get aggressive on the river. This IS IMO how they would play a set, especially on a drawy board since flushy boards are the most obvious of draws. I think against this person it is a fold, but folding to them is never an easy fold.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:56 PM

If you think his range includes things like KJ, KQ, and flush draws you should call with the intention to get it in on any turn. Someone mentioned combo draws and I'm not really sure what sort of combo draw someone can have on this board unless it's Ad2d which I don't consider to be all that likely. I'm folding without a read.