Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2007, 11:52 AM

Default Friend is moving - how much to pay hired help?

He's thinking of just going to Home Depot and picking up two day laborers. Does anybody have any experience with the going rate to pay these type of workers? Any advice would be appreciated.

FYI - it's him, and one roommate. They'll probably need help for 4-6 hours at most, as they have a medium sized apt with almost no stuff. TV, and two beds are probably the biggest items.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Friend is moving - how much to pay hired help?

The going rate is roughly $20/person per hour.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:08 PM

ive gotten help painting before doing this. i tell them im looking for help and will pay $8/hr for painting, but will pay $10/hr if the person does a good job (w/ the intention of just paying $10/hr).

i usually have a small crowd of people around me trying to get me to pick them at that price.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The going rate is roughly $20/person per hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored], where?

around here, you can get someone like that for $40/day, 6-8ish hours...

OP should just ask. especially if there's 8-10 guys standing there waiting for work...usually, a lowest-bidder war ensues...

i once got 2 guys to come to my house for spring-cleaning type stuff (9 yards of mulch, edging, raking last year's leaves, etc.) they were there about 6 hours, and i paid them $30 each..so $60 for 6 hours total..

again, ask the first guy how much he'd be willing to do it for, then ask another guy...guaranteed the second guy will do it for less..
Old 02-16-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
again, ask the first guy how much he'd be willing to do it for, then ask another guy...guaranteed the second guy will do it for less..

[/ QUOTE ]

Exploiting people sure does feel great...

OP, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable paying them less than $10/hr, nor would I feel comfortable forcing the group into a lowest-bidder war.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:19 PM

Moving is much harder work than cleaning or painting. I would think about $15/hour would be reasonable, or $75 for the day if it takes 5 hours.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:20 PM

fair enough...

that said, you could get them to go lower if you wanted...

i should also add that as we were getting started, i smoked a big blunt with the 2 of them, and i was working with them the entire time, sweating along with them...
Old 02-16-2007, 12:32 PM

one more thing...

you don't have any friends that can be bribed with beer?? i've helped enough friends move over the years that the next time i move, i probably could get away with not lifting a finger...

i once moved my buddy's entire 3 bedroom house, i'm talking EVERYTHING, just me and him, as his wife and 1 year old watched...it took 3 trips in the 2nd biggest truck u-haul had...

i had 2 requests...

one was beer...that went fine.

the other was that he would 'be allowed' (you'd have to know his wife) to come with me to a high school football game that night...she agreed at 10am.

at 6pm, when we were done, i said i was going home to shower/change, and would be back to pick him up in an hour..

wife: 'oh nooooo. he isn't going anywhere, we have all these boxes to put away!'

me: 'jen, that was the deal, i don't have anyone to go with to the game, and that's why i helped move.'

wife: 'tough [censored]. take the rest of the beer if you want, but he's not leaving.'

generally though, if you're moving, buy a case of beer, and enlist the help of friends...no reason to go to home depot or wherever...
Old 02-16-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i had 2 requests...

one was beer...that went fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard, I've helped many friends move/fix things/etc with this as payment and vice versa.

[ QUOTE ]
wife: 'oh nooooo. he isn't going anywhere, we have all these boxes to put away!'
wife: 'tough [censored]. take the rest of the beer if you want, but he's not leaving.'

[/ QUOTE ]

This is bs and the friend in question should sack up and tell the wife that he is going to the game.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:00 PM

he tried, but was outnumbered.

when we were done moving everything (isn't that how it always happens??) his mother-in-law and sister-in-law show up, and are harassing the [censored] out of him about getting everything put away right then...

the mother-in-law (who i've met a couple times, at his kids' birthday parties and whatnot) actually had the balls to tell me that i 'really shouldn't leave until everything was put away...'

this, after moving her daughter's [censored] for 6+ hours...