Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2007, 10:40 AM

Default AKo vs. LAG preflop 160 bb deep

Villian is playing Laggy. Probably 40/24/3 ish after ~100 hands. But he is playing reasonably well and running well. I am directly behind him and I have opened up my three-betting range to adjust. I have three bet him preflop three times in the past few orbits. Twice he folded preflop and once to my cbet. I think he may be getting annoyed, as he said something along of the lines of "Keep it up buddy." in the chatbox. Then this happens.

25NL FTP
Effective stacks ~40.

Villian Opens for $1 in MP.
Hero repops to $3.5 in CO with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Folds back to Villian who reraises to $8.5
Hero ???

This is the first time he has 4-bet preflop. I see all three options as viable, but I think calling is the worst. I really want to push or fold. What do you do? The thing is, he's aggresive, and I want to catch him with a mediocre hand when I am good. But I don't know if this is the right time.

Your thoughts?
Old 02-16-2007, 11:23 AM

Default Re: AKo vs. LAG preflop 160 bb deep

If he is 'aggressive' and this is the first time he has 4-bet I'd fold. You are at best a coin flip. If he is making a habit of 4-betting you, then this becomes an autoshove.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:42 AM

The answer here really depends on the type of player you are. Are you a high variance player who likes to get it all in PF with slight edges (i guess that you are not this kind of player) if you are then it is a no brainer to push here. Chances of you being worse then a coin flip are slim and you are probably ahead. I came to that conclusion from the reads you have on the villian.
Now I think you are a thinking player and a grinder who wants to play poker and gets in spots where you have really outplayed your opponents and exposed there weak play. Personally I think you can easily call here and it is not as bad as you think. You have position on this LAG who is getting a bit aggro, calling $5 here you are getting the right odds to call and you are not pot committed and once again you have position on this aggro player.

GL and great Hand History! Thanks for posting
Old 02-16-2007, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he is 'aggressive' and this is the first time he has 4-bet I'd fold. You are at best a coin flip. If he is making a habit of 4-betting you, then this becomes an autoshove.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you, but it sounded like this player was more tilty then aggressive, just sick being pushed around.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you, but it sounded like this player was more tilty then aggressive, just sick being pushed around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only hero knows the table dynamic. A shove isn't bad if that's hero's read. Really hard to know just looking at a HH. Eithe rway, I would never say that hero played the hand badly by either shoving or folding.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:45 PM

I really don't see how we can be ahead here. I just ran a pokerstove simulation and gave villain this range: TT+,AQs+,AQo+, this gave a coinflip.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't see how we can be ahead here. I just ran a pokerstove simulation and gave villain this range: TT+,AQs+,AQo+, this gave a coinflip.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think he folds some of that range, its +EV
Old 02-16-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally I think you can easily call here and it is not as bad as you think. You have position on this LAG who is getting a bit aggro, calling $5 here you are getting the right odds to call and you are not pot committed and once again you have position on this aggro player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like calling because I feel it is a reverse implied odds situation. If I call and flop TP, I will have a hard time getting any money from hands I beat, and I will stack off to the hands that have me crushed (including lucky sets.) Pushing is appealing b/c he may fold hands that are currently ahead, and other AK's. But if he calls I am probably in bad shape.

FWIW I ended up thinking and folding. I think this might have been weak, but I was pretty lost (hence, the post.) Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:05 PM

Villian is probably tilty - so I don't think you have any fold equity. From the sound of things villian is also likely to have a relatively wide range for this four bet - and we are ahead a lot. Shove is not bad if you like to gamble but....

Call and see a flop is probably the smart play.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think he folds some of that range, its +EV

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see this villian folding.