Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2007, 10:08 AM

Default Question about playing styles

Playing at the low levels $1/2, sometimes I come across multi table players with playing style 37/25 or even 43/25. I was wondering whether that sort of playing style can be winning at $1/2 and $2/4 where the rake is brutal and they probably are paying rake 3.5 for BB/100 hands. What's your opinion about that?

Cheers
Old 02-16-2007, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Question about playing styles

what hast the rake to do with your style of play or the number of tables you play?

if I take a look into my PT files of stars for example:
- the people play the most hands in a week are mostly TAGs
- the people winning the most are mostly LAGs
but
those TAGs post every week results like 10k hands at 1-1,5BB/100 hands
those LAGs play like 1k hands in the first week, 5k hands in the second, adn 2,5k hands in the thirs with a winrate of 2,5BB/100, 4BB/100 and -3BB/100

so what I am trying to say is: playing LAG can win but its pretty swinggy (and yet there are (pretty few) 40/24 people at stars winning at 3+ for about 100k hands)
Old 02-16-2007, 10:57 AM

It all comes down to postflop skills.

Its been debated before and I dont know what the true answer is. I do know tho, that I feel far more comfortable playing 22/14 types than 35/27 or 42/32 types.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:57 AM

I'd say they'll lose in the long run. 37/25 or 43/25 is just too much. I'm currently playing 27/19/(3.2) and I think that's pushing it. I really can't find more profitable oppertunities, so I wonder how a 43/25 would. (anyway I'm at -2.9BB/100 so I'm not sure it's a good example...)
Old 02-16-2007, 11:07 AM

@HoneyBadger: you made my day [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

and you are right. most LAGs (at stars) are loosing. but every I week I look at my handfiles and two player at 2-4 & 3-6 are winning big every time. maybe they are just the very rare post-flop-killing exceptions.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
@HoneyBadger: you made my day [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
By losing, or by agreeing? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I didn't mean to say I lose in general, I actually think my style will be profitable, it's just that I started 6max only recently and the last 16k hands have been pretty sick in general (don't make the mistake thinking 80-97% ahead on the flop means anything...lol).
[ QUOTE ]

and you are right. most LAGs (at stars) are loosing. but every I week I look at my handfiles and two player at 2-4 & 3-6 are winning big every time. maybe they are just the very rare post-flop-killing exceptions.

[/ QUOTE ]
Or very lucky. It only takes a few 20 BB pots to turn a loser into a winner. Maybe they're really good, and therefore always win, but would win even more if they tightened up. Who can tell.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:45 AM

I laughed about the irony the lies in the combination of both statements.

(yet i dont want to offend you in any way)
Old 02-16-2007, 11:59 AM

Hehe no problem, I wrote it that way on purpose.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really can't find more profitable oppertunities, so I wonder how a 43/25 would.

[/ QUOTE ]
HB, if you havent read these threads I would suggest you take a look at them. They were sparked by Stellarwinds investigation into the "optimal" preflop strategy. This one started in SSSH and this one was the cross post in MHSSH.

Maybe Stellarwinds post can convince you that T9s is profitable UTG [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HB, if you havent read these threads I would suggest you take a look at them. They were sparked by Stellarwinds investigation into the "optimal" preflop strategy. This one started in SSSH and this one was the cross post in MHSSH.

Maybe Stellarwinds post can convince you that T9s is profitable UTG [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Don't forget I'm coming from FR and studied that extensively. My mistake is that 6max is not FR with 4 people folded. That's due to the vast difference in playing styles of opponents. I'm beginning to realize that now. FR is filled with 15/10/3-likes, in that case hands like T9s are not profitable from middle position first in. Perhaps you're right when your opponents are willing to pay you off and enter the pot with rags (typical 6max player?)