Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2007, 04:45 AM

Default What´s your range of 3-betting?

Hi.

I wonder what hands you usually 3-bet (in position) with at the $25 and $50? When I´m at the CO or BTN and there´s been a raise I check his stats and find something like 30-45/10-12/2. I look down at AQs and think to myself "he´s not raising that much, I´m probably dominated", and I fold. Basically I end up only playing PP against a raise, 3-bet with AA-KK and call with the rest of them. I find many players with a high VPIP and a low or at least moderate PFR, meaning (I think) they want to play many hands for cheap but they only take the lead when they´ve got the goods.
I think I have a real problem here, so any advice would be great.

// M
Old 02-16-2007, 05:07 AM

Default Re: What´s your range of 3-betting?

stop folding AQ to MP/LP opens

if you dont 3bet a nitty utg raiser with more than QQ+ thats probably ok, but once you see someone knows what they are doing opening in LP and you have TT+ AQ+ 3betting is a good idea.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:01 AM

AA-QQ and AK, AQ...
For allin AA,KK,AK

Against some ppl that raise a lot of medium pairs i also do AJs and JJ, TT, for I usually have two overcards or a bigger pair in the hole.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:05 AM

10-12 PFR is far wider than just AA-QQ, Id say it includes everything from AA-88 and AK-AJs, KQs. You are definately not folding AQ here, and Id raise AA-JJ and AK. Also, youll notice that hands like JJ will play easier if you reraise preflop.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:24 AM

Player dependent.

Regardless of stats, if player seems to konw how to play poker I will 3 bet (in position) 88+ A10+, KQs, some suited connecters even. Reason being, I want him to play back at me, now or in the future.

If the player is average, I will tighen up a bit. JJ+, AJ+. Because they are folding everything but AK and pairs. A flop cbet lets you know everything.

If the player is poor, I 3 bet less, QQ+ and AK. Calling with 22-jj, suited aces, suited connecters, J10, QJ, KJ, KQ. I then take him to value town, or fold.

Your player seems average so 3 bet AQ here almost everytime.

This is for 6max. Not full ring
Old 02-16-2007, 09:55 AM

On a full table, 3 bet QQ+, and AK.

Calling AQs here is reasonable in position, but I'd dump AQ off. You should get implied odds when you do hit.

FYI chance of PP is 0.4% (6 perms in 1326) and any other specific 2 cards like AK is 1.2% (16 from 1326)

I work out villains range from there.... 2% and he only raises AA,KK and AK

With over 10% you are looking at maybe the 6 top pairs (2.4%), and then 7 other hands. Probably A9+, KQ , KJ or similar, so AQs is playable.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:59 AM

You think there is such a big difference between AQ and AQs? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2007, 10:10 AM

It's stats depend.

If villain has PFR > 15% I 3bet in position with AJs+, TT+

If villain has PFR between 10% and 15% I 3Bet with TT+, AK

If villain has PFR < 10% I only 3Bet with JJ+, AK

If villain has PFR < 5% I only 3Bet with KK+
Old 02-16-2007, 10:13 AM

Yes, if you are suited it makes a big difference to your winning chances when dominated, and can also lead to winning some huge pots.

See "small stakes hold-em - winning big with expert play" by David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth.

You have to have a line drawn somewhere. AJ is too weak to an EP raise. I prefer to only play AQ suited, as I say, you have a far better chance against AK with this than it's unsuited counterpart. You also gain semi-bluffing rights if two of your suit flop, and can reraise a possible cbet with a stack of outs if you need them.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:40 PM

I 3bet in position:

1. To isolate players who I want to be heads up in a big pot with, where it would otherwise go multiway. Cards don't matter much, though I will tend to have a hand that can make TP, as opposed to JTs. I don't need to be raising huge amounts, just enough to isolate.

2. When my hand kills their range and they will call, I raise as much as possible.

3. When their range kills my hand but they will fold most of the time, and I will have a playable hand and reasonably deep stacks. They have to fold a lot for this to be worthwhile.

I don't mind calling in position with all sorts of holdings up to AK as long as it won't get me multiway with a TP hand, our ranges are similar, And villian won't outplay me. Smaller money preflop leads to more descisions postflop while I am in position and Villian is not. Big raises simplify postflop play and nullify positional advantage- aside from the circumstances I listed above, i don't see the point.

3betting OOP is much more important IMO.