Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2007, 10:54 PM

Default TV shows/series you think are overrated

In this thread let's list some TV shows you think are overhyped and/or overrated. To start things off, two UK shows I've never gotten into are Absolutely Fabulous and Doctor Who. I've seen Jennifer Saunders in other stuff (the Young Ones, Comic Strip Live, the show she did with Dawn French, etc.) and thought she was pretty good in those, but Ab Fab does absolutely nothing for me. Not much in the way of laughs, and the characters are either wildly vaudevillian and unrealistic or unsympathetic and annoying. Doctor Who....I don't know. I guess I just never got it. The whole cheap production values thing worked like a charm for the series Red Dwarf and the miniseries I, Claudius, but I just don't find that it does the same thing for Doctor Who. One of my problems may be the same that a lot of people had with Twin Peaks back when it was on the air....if you missed an episode or weren't familiar with the background story, you weren't gonna know what was going on or catch up. Same, to a lesser extent, with Doctor Who, although that's more due to the sheer length of time the different versions have been on the air, I would guess. Probably the show's just an acquired taste that I haven;t acquired. Grey's Anatomy to me is just a glorified nighttime soap opera. Nothing at all challenging, unique or even very interesting about it.

One show that I DO think is very good and that I ranked in my all-time Top 82 (don't ask) in the Lounge thread, but that I don't think is the be-all and end-all of TV comedy like some people do, is the UK version of The Office. Maybe I'm jaded from having worked too long in office work and retail, but I think that I don't find a lot of it as funny as Gervais et al intended because it's too damn realistic! Most of this crap -really does go on- in offices, and because of that it tends to be, for me, more of the documentary it is pretending to be (as part of the plotline) than a laugh-out-loud comedy. It's a very good show, don't get me wrong...I just find it good in a different way than I was expecting. Although David Brent's line, "I think there's been a rape up there!" at the corporate training meeting may be the single funniest line I've ever heard in a TV comedy.

--Scott
Old 02-15-2007, 10:57 PM

Default Re: TV shows/series you think are overrated

Let's just get it out of the way right now. I'm not seeing the brilliance of Adult Swim or ATHF or whateverthefuckever everybody around here gets all excited about. Also Futurama. That one sucks, too.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:06 PM

I am going to pre-emptively say that anyone who mentions Studio 60 in this thread is an idiot, because nobody likes that show anymore (except me, and I'm way too forgiving of Sorkin). It's not highly rated by critics or the public, so it can't be overrated.

Cue 104 people still finding an opportunity to slag it.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:08 PM

The UK version of The Office really doesn't do much for me.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am going to pre-emptively say that anyone who mentions Studio 60 in this thread is an idiot, because nobody likes that show anymore (except me, and I'm way too forgiving of Sorkin). It's not highly rated by critics or the public, so it can't be overrated.

Cue 104 people still finding an opportunity to slag it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a good show.

And ATHF is not brilliant. It's just really random and goofy.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:43 PM

Futurama was the thought that originally came to me. I admittedly haven't watched more than a handful of episodes, but I feel like I've given it enough of a shot.

joker, I love Studio 60. However, I've never watched a Sorkin show before, so I might be immune to the criticisms.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:46 AM

Since I'm one of the 4 people who didn't like last night's episode, Lost. Even season one though - there's that thread "How Season 2 of Lost killed the best show ever." Best show ever? Come on.

Family Guy, Six Feet Under.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:47 AM

Deal or no Deal sucks a nut.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:48 AM

Family Guy is vastly overrated.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:57 AM

Lost. black smoke monsters. ummm, yeah...lame

and whatever the next gay show is about an area near LA