Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2007, 04:14 PM

Default Downswings

For the past 15,000 hands I've been on a pretty sweet run of bad luck. We've all been there, sets not getting paid or set over set, pushing and people hitting their 2 or 5 outers, etc etc ,blah blah...

I'm just wondering what kind of runs others have had here in terms of numbers of hands played when they absolutely know they were playing well and have played tons of hands since it ended. How did you deal with it the first few times they had those stretches?

I've only played 40,000 hands of NL (coming from limit) and I know that's nothing. I'd like to hear from those who have played hundreds of thousands of hands online.

How long have your stretched lasted and how did you deal with it the first few times it happened?
Old 02-15-2007, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Downswings

How bad was your streak?

The worst I've dealt with was probably about 7 full buy-ins. I don't think I was playing particularly well during that period now that I look back.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:31 PM

I asked the same thing a bit back. I was told it was normal. I play small taters at $25 buy in. And I only play about 1,000 hands per week. Been playing for a couple of months. I invested $50. Had it to $150. Then down to $75. Then up to $280. then down to $34 (that had me questioning my mojo). Now, I am at $180. The swings hit. And they suck.

Yes, I know it's under funded at $50 but with the online situation these days, I ain't buying in for 100 buy-ins at a time. If I lose it all, I can buy back in.

I'm actually pondering getting out, with all The War On Poker here in the states.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:36 PM

playing jj qq poorly can [censored] you up pretty easiliy
Old 02-15-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I asked the same thing a bit back. I was told it was normal. I play small taters at $25 buy in. And I only play about 1,000 hands per week. Been playing for a couple of months. I invested $50. Had it to $150. Then down to $75. Then up to $280. then down to $34 (that had me questioning my mojo). Now, I am at $180. The swings hit. And they suck.

Yes, I know it's under funded at $50 but with the online situation these days, I ain't buying in for 100 buy-ins at a time. If I lose it all, I can buy back in.

I'm actually pondering getting out, with all The War On Poker here in the states.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I know it's normal and does happen. I'm just looking for how long it has happened to others and how they dealt with it. Part of learning poker is learning to deal with the variance but that is harder to do than learning to play a hand better.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
playing jj qq poorly can [censored] you up pretty easiliy

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but I asked when you were playing good [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-15-2007, 04:45 PM

My most frustrating time playing for me was not during a sharp downswing, but rather over a long stretch of nearly break even play.

In my experience, the sharp downswings have always been accompanied by a quick uptake (don't think I've ever dropped more than 5-7 Buy-ins w/o recovering). However, after winning at a good clip for like a year, when suddenly your win rate is minute over months....it really took a toll.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:13 PM

27 Buy-in down and counting In the past week over ~45,000 hands. I forgot to add I was up 22 Buy-ins in the 3 days before that.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
27 Buy-in and counting In the past week ~45,000 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch! How many hands in total have you played online?
Old 02-15-2007, 05:17 PM

how do i handle downswings when im playing well???? i ususally play worse. duhhhhhh