Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2007, 07:09 AM

Default Do I have to bet here?

Villains both are loose-passive.

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.10/$0.2
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, 2 folds, MP3 calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, 3 folds, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7.5SB, 3 players)
UTG+1 checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3.75BB, 3 players)

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3.75BB, 3 players)

Results:
Final pot: 3.75BB

Do I have to c-bet this flop?

Do I have to bet the turn? I checked this again fearing a c/r could push me off my hand.

What about the river? I this a value bet or should I be glad I could get ace high to a cheap SD?
Old 02-15-2007, 07:16 AM

Default Re: Do I have to bet here?

You don't have to. But you're last to act and they haven't shown any strength. Both the flop and the turn are good c-bet/bluff times, but make sure you know how to handle it if they don't just bow down and fold. Betting the river as played will just look fishy and you'll likely get looked up.

Having said all that, c-betting/bluffing against 10/20c rivals might not work so well after all.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:20 AM

I do not think you steal the pot enough here to bet. But you have to C-Bet the flop here.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:26 AM

:grunch:

yes. you have 2 OCs and a back door straight to the nuts. the lack of strength shown by your villains suggests they're on mid-pair or at best top-pair weak kicker. loose passives tend to bet top pair in my experience. I think your A and Q are full outs here, giving you 6.

the check check chek line here seems too weak to me. in the absence of *any* strength from these guys, I'd say bet out the flop, bet/fold the turn, and check behind on the river UI.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:26 AM

I think you played it fine. I maybe would have made a C-Bet into 1 opponent- with a Tight Read. But not two loose opponents.

I don't see the a river bet as value- if they call, there's a good chance you're beat.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do not think you steal the pot enough here to bet. But you have to C-Bet the flop here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you just change your mind mid-post? Stealing the pot and C-Betting often go hand in hand. Put another way, why would you C-Bet if you don't steal it often enough?
Old 02-15-2007, 08:20 AM

With a dry looking board and position I would c-bet that flop. After the K hits on the turn, I'd just check the turn and river if possible.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:39 AM

Bet twice!

Most often you'll loose one opponent on the flop and the other one on the turn. The J and the K are perfect scare cards for you!
Old 02-15-2007, 08:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With a dry looking board and position I would c-bet that flop. After the K hits on the turn, I'd just check the turn and river if possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you bet the flop, the K drops on the turn- you check it and I (one of the other opponents) bets on the river. What you gonna do? Have I got the K, or just seen you're obvious weakness when you checked the scare card, in position?
Old 02-15-2007, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do I have to bet the turn? I checked this again fearing a c/r could push me off my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have a hand. If you bet the turn, what you're doing is semi-bluffing your GS with a scare card. Either they believe you and fold, or they don't and you c/f river. Not having bet the flop makes it more likely that they don't believe you...

This is why a c-bet is essential here. Very often you buy this pot by sheer aggression.