Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 08:04 PM

Default Engagement Ring Ideas

I'm thinking about it - been thinking about it for a while - gulp, I think it's time to buy an engagement ring and surrender my freedom.

We've talked about rings before and I'm posting to ask any advice of any of you who's walked this plank -

-- any good links to honest and quality ring sites?

ive seen rings on ebay that will have a buy it now price for like 8k$ and itll show that the ring was appraised for like 25k$ - how does that work? ive seen similar things on jewelry store websites and at B&M stores. drives me crazy. obviously i want to get the best deal possible for the highest quality ring, but im absolutely terrified ill spend 8k on a ring that couldve been bought for 4k.

sooo...give me some advice.
price range 5k-10k$.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Engagement Ring Ideas

Don't buy your ring online.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:06 PM

You may want to consider Moissanite for many reasons. Lots of stuff on the web. Basically it looks better than a diamond, is more durable in some ways, and a fraction of the cost.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:07 PM

Let your girl pick out the rock.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:09 PM

www.samsclub.com You'll thank me later. No... honestly I bough my wifes ring at sams club for 5k it appraises at 10k and has 2.0 total CT weight. They have some of the best deals on quality diamond engagement rings. Their selection is limited but go to a Sams Club store and just look. If there is one that catches your eye you wont find a better deal anywhere.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
www.samsclub.com You'll thank me later. No... honestly I bough my wifes ring at sams club for 5k it appraises at 10k and has 2.0 total CT weight. They have some of the best deals on quality diamond engagement rings. Their selection is limited but go to a Sams Club store and just look. If there is one that catches your eye you wont find a better deal anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have heard from others that SC is a great place to get an engagement ring. any other people buy a ring from there and have anything to say?
Old 02-14-2007, 08:12 PM

Don't get caught up in what they say it'll appraise for. Also, don't forget that there are FOUR C's, not just carat. Take your $5k, 2.0CT diamond and hold it next to one that scores (probably much) higher in clarity and color.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You may want to consider Moissanite for many reasons. Lots of stuff on the web. Basically it looks better than a diamond, is more durable in some ways, and a fraction of the cost.

[/ QUOTE ]

very interesting. but i can see me getting into a lot of trouble with QueenMedicine if its not a diamond.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let your girl pick out the rock.

[/ QUOTE ]

i know pretty much the style and everything she wants, but i def want to pick out the actual ring and surprise her with it.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:15 PM

Blue nile - www.bluenile.com - do some research, I think you'll find it gets great reviews. That's where I got mine in 2001.

I was nervous buying it online, but only heard great reviews. Bought it for something like 6K, appraised at 10K. It's a 1 karat solitaire, I forget the specs, but it looks great.

I think they charge cost plus a markup of 300-500 or so. I was working in NYC at the time, so immediately took it to the diamond district for an appraisal by a gemologist office down there (NOT a retailer). They said I got a great deal, but probably could have saved a couple of hundred more by haggling with a vendor in the diamond district. Since I hate doing this, and since the process was so easy on bluenile, no regrets.

I think buying on line might help avoid sales tax, depending on where you are.

I would never buy a diamond on E-bay: lots of fraud there.

You want a GIA certified stone.

Those are the basics that I can remember...