Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 07:49 AM

Default Truth about Carlos Mencia

First of all, I don't like Carlos's show or find him funny, but the nature of everybody claiming to know the truth about Carlos necessitates this post as a lesson in how to examine evidence.

I didn't want to make a hijack sub-thread of this thread so I started this one. You can read all that thread and watch the video and all the stuff about Joe Roegan and whatnot, also on this Carlos is a fake! thread.

Again, I've watched the video, read the threads and read the blog of Roegan and also his bit about Daniel Negraneu.

I don't like Carlos or his show very much, I just don't find it all that funny. HOWEVER, all you people claiming Carlos is a fake and all that are [censored] idiots. Look at the evidence.

As per his bio on IMDB, he was born to a Honduran mother and German father who gave him up to his aunt and uncle, who lived in L.A. where they called him Carlos and he grew up in the L.A. Mexican culture.

So we have refuted the claim that he's a fake because his birth name isn't Carlos and he isn't actually born of Mexican parents. He has been called Carlos his entire life and he grew up in a Mexican culture, with the physical appearance of most Mexicans. He's not "officially" Mexican but that fact is trivial and pointless in the context of being used to refute his authenticity.

Now, onto his the claims of his joke-stealing. I don't know much about this, and a lot of the rumors may indeed be true. However, I do know that Joe Roegan is not a reputable source of these claims. As per his blog Joe implies that Daniel pretended to be nice then talked [censored] about him later. To back this up, Joe posts a portion of Daniel's blog where it is quite clear that Joe is intentionally misunderstanding the situation. Daniel states that Joe offended him, and he told him as much and also wrote how offended he was there on his blog. Joe somehow thinks this backs up what he said. I don't see how it does, so if somebody else does, please enlighten me.

This example, along with reading other posts on Joe's blog suggest he is very annoyed and angry at a lot of different people and looking for a fight wherever he can.

At the very least, he is likely to be far over exaggerating the claims about Carlos, even if Carlos has stolen material. Comedians watch other comedians, learn some of their tools and incorporate each other's material. As long as it's not blatant rehashing the same joke, it's accepted as part of learning and part of performing. The relevant parts of the video do not give a clear time frame to judge where the material originally came from. Something as simple as a subtitle of "here's the joke, first performed at X on this date" was not provided. The video just showed the two guys telling the same lame stupid joke. This is very poor support of the inflammatory claim.

Carlos may have stolen a lot of material, I don't know. But given the mental state of the source (Joe) and given the mis-trued use of Carlos's background in order to defame Carlos, it is very likely that Carlos has been unfairly attacked and grossly misrepresented.

I don't like Carlos either guys, but not liking him and calling him a liar, theif, and fake are entirely different things. The facts speak for themselves and you guys who bash Carlos for something besides not being funny are just plain stupid and wrong. That's all there is to it.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:20 AM

Default Re: Truth about Carlos Mencia

[ QUOTE ]
Comedians watch other comedians, learn some of their tools and incorporate each other's material. As long as it's not blatant rehashing the same joke, it's accepted as part of learning and part of performing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Say this to a comedian.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:43 AM

Uh...I saw this on a TV show where a bunch of stand-ups were talking with each other and how they watched other comedians perform and tried to learn from them. I think you misunderstood what I was getting at there. Or maybe I misrepresented it. Either way, what I am saying is that comedians learn from each other, that's all. Also, that very point back up the exaggeration of the claims against him.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:15 AM

It's Rogan..
Old 02-14-2007, 10:06 AM

OP,

You're right. What you have to say is SO important that it definitely requires a new thread. Thanks for showing us the light.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Uh...I saw this on a TV show where a bunch of stand-ups were talking with each other and how they watched other comedians perform and tried to learn from them. I think you misunderstood what I was getting at there. Or maybe I misrepresented it. Either way, what I am saying is that comedians learn from each other, that's all. Also, that very point back up the exaggeration of the claims against him.

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't just use a joke that resembled another joke, or use a joke to inspire a joke of his, he literally took whole bits. Comics don't tend to appreciate that.
Ask George Lopez about Mencia.

I'm not a huge Rogan fan, he's ok, but I think he's calling this one right.

As far as Rogan and DN, I think that's already been handled. Handled well by both, imo.

b
Old 02-14-2007, 09:28 PM

Instead of trying to give us "a lesson in how to examine evidence", I suggest you learn how to present evidence. You provide none. Instead you ramble on and make odd conclusions based on your own interpretations and then call everyone idiots who disagrees. Way to go champ. Nice logic. Might want to stick it out in college a bit longer.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:59 PM

I don't think Mencia is funny, but this is hilarious.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:45 PM

The joke about the illegal immigrants building the fence, come on, a 5th grader could have written that joke. It was a current event two comedians could have very easily written the same joke independently of one another.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The joke about the illegal immigrants building the fence, come on, a 5th grader could have written that joke. It was a current event two comedians could have very easily written the same joke independently of one another.

[/ QUOTE ]

sure, but it's kinda sick that that guy opened for mencia, and then mencia uses the joke.