Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 03:44 AM

Default JJ, big pot

Live 15/30

Reads:
MP has done some tricky stuff like 3-betting the flop for a free card. He also cold calls a bunch preflop and likes to chase.
Button is awful and BB is a new player.

I raise J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], MP, Button, and BB call.

Flop (8sb): 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
BB bets, I raise, MP 3 bets, Button and BB call, I call with the plan of donking most turns.

Turn (10bb): Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I bet, MP and Button call, BB folds.

River (13bb): K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I...?
Old 02-14-2007, 03:52 AM

Default Re: JJ, big pot

Why wouldn't you bet again? Afraid of the Ace? If MP's got it you're screwed, but you lose value if you let the river check through, which is probably likely unless someone has the Ace. It's a scary board.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:01 AM

Given the flop action it seems unlikely that MP has the A of spades. I would be more worried about the bad player having the A of spades (would he call 3 cold on the flop with the A of spades and a 10? or worse). I would check call the river, bc they both called the turn and I don't want to put in 2 bets to see the showdown. You might miss some value here, but I often give up a small amount of value to showdown a hand. There might be arguments here, but I am not a big bet fold guy against unknowns.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:13 AM

You have to donk this here. There are just to many hands that can pay off that won't bet on the river. I Think if you check and someone does bet this river. You probably lose. Straights will call. Smaller spades will call. Some live games i've been in Two pair is a pay off hand here. You give up too much not to bet here.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:17 AM

Jade are you calling a raise or folding to a raise?
Old 02-14-2007, 04:25 AM

This is a spot where you are simiply going to have to play good poker. If you bet are called and then the button raises both of us. I think this is probably a muck. There are also other things to consider. Pot odds. What is your read on this player. I don't think anyone would try and bluff here espically with us being aggressive the entire hand. The villain can't think we're laying down here. So he probably has it. Now if your facing a heads up raise on the river i probably go ahead and pay this off.
There are plenty of hands that can pay you off here to make betting a very profitable play. When your running good you might even get two callers here you can't beat your J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2007, 04:28 AM

Bet. If you get called you win obviously. If one calls then the other raises then you should be able to fold. If one raises and the other folds you have to make a decision. If one folds and the other raises then you probably should call. Bad players don't like folding any spade here on the end, make them pay for their mistake.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:30 AM

After much thought, I agree that it would be a mistake not to bet the river. Your reply is right on Jade.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:49 AM

Thank you. Glad I could help.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I call with the plan of donking most turns.

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer capping and leading the turn. If MP is trying another free card play, then I believe this line exploits his tendency more by making him commit more bets. In addition, your hand combined with the draws is rather strong.