Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 02:47 AM

Default age for kid to start and what art?

At what age should I start a kid at a martial art? What art is best for beating off child molesters, building self-confidence, and getting in shape? I've got an almost 5 year old.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:08 AM

Default Re: age for kid to start and what art?

5 is not too young imo, my cousin started at 6 and has kept it up(he's now 12 and a junior black belt). I feel the other answer to your question is that you should look at the children's programs around your area and try and decide which looks like the best. Take the teacher's teaching ability and ability to work with youngsters heavily into account. Go sit in on a few lessons, you will prob be able to decide.

It's sad to think of but in reality most adults would be able to control any boy under 10 even with training. There are some things your son could learn to help with that. but, I would consider your son's early training as a good foundation for Martial Arts in the future. If you have many locations around you, shop around. IMO the best styles are those which seem to work in MMA, UFC,Pride fighting all with the right teacher/program.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At what age should I start a kid at a martial art? What art is best for beating off child molesters, building self-confidence, and getting in shape? I've got an almost 5 year old.

[/ QUOTE ]

For what its worth, I started Tae Kwon Do when I was 11. Great for getting in shape and building self-confidence, and if I had time at all I'd be going back (2nd Degree Black Belt, would like to get my 3rd or 4th one day).

As far as beating off child molesters, unless you've got a 5-year-old who's a master of Brazilian jujitsu then he's going to have some problems beating down some 30-50 year old man intent on doing harm. Every martial art is going to teach your kids the same thing - if something like that happens, you run and yell for help. I always liked seeing the young kids in class as I advanced, got older, and started assisting in teaching the classes. The main priority for kids is having fun and learning discipline, and hopefully finding something they'll continue for a good while. I'm sure you know that you're not going to have a mini-Chuck Norris on your hands though.

(To answer your question, I'd do some research into cost, time, etc. and maybe wait until the kid's at least 6 or so)
Old 02-14-2007, 06:42 PM

there is no point in trying to teach a very small child to fight a child molestor. It absolutely doesn't matter how skilled they are in any art. They are going to get ruined vs. an adult who has the element of surprise. As another poster recommended: teach them to RUN, and SCREAM and NOT TALK TO STRANGERS, etc.

As far as self-confidence, and athleticism is concerned, and laying a foundation for fighting when they are older, I would DEFINITELY look into Judo. It's practical for fighting, and it teaches self confidence and discipline. The lack of focus on striking will probably keep your kid out of trouble also.

1.A few other things to note: it's an awesome work-out
2. Learning how throws work will teach the kid about stuff beyond martial arts. It'll also teach them about leverage, and finding the center of gravity.
3. Your kid will be able to practice judo at a pretty high intensity with very little risk of injury.
4. If your kid sticks with it, he can be on a team later on and participate in competitions.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
... I would DEFINITELY look into Judo. It's practical for fighting, and it teaches self confidence and discipline.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second the Judo nomination.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:15 PM

I'll third the judo. It has a good competitive spirit without being anti-social or full of bragging, like some martial arts are. In judo, you're part of a social group and it's harder than usual to get ideas you're better than you are, because you compete constantly. Then again, it's easy to get the confidence you deserve.

Also, it teaches you about how anatomy works -- how to turn the joints against themselves, hwo balance works, etc. A lot of people don't really have that sense at all, and it's very applicable to any kind of martial art, even one with no throws at all.

Plus, it gets you in great shape and teaches you how to fall. Falling is something we do all our lives, and it's so important to learn how to fall and not hurt yourself that frankly I think it should be taught before math and English! Kids fall down constantly, and when you're old and it happens, a broken hip can send you to the hospital where your lousy immune system will make you die of pneumonia.

Judo's skills are very practical, and you won't have to worry that your kid is turning into a psycho by being around the wrong people or learning the wrong things. And it's excellent for children.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:10 PM

I did Tae Kwon Do from 6-15 and wish I hadn't quit.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
... I would DEFINITELY look into Judo. It's practical for fighting, and it teaches self confidence and discipline.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second the Judo nomination.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both my kids do Judo, both love it, my older son (7) has just started entering local competitions.

IMHO Judo is perfect for kids, it's very physical, builds confidence, but with no striking moves also very safe.

Watch a few sessions at the club before leaving your kids there though,
Specifically I would be looking for a sensei who can communicate with the kids without too much shouting, runs a well disciplined session, teaches good clean basic techniques, and does not teach sacrifice throws / armlocks / strangles / chokes to the younger or lower grade kids.

Mat
Old 02-26-2007, 02:55 AM

yeah judo or wrestling would both be good. judo is generally going to be a better environment from what ive seen.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:04 AM

I have some solid training in jiu-jitsu, but don't now what you mean by sacrifice throw. Explanation please?