Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 01:56 AM

Default Do I really need all the fancy software to play and win online poker?

Hi,

I am not a winning player, not even at 50NL. But I am willing to learn. However, everytime I play, I feel like an underdog to people who know my stats with poker tracker and all. They re-raise me big time because they know I will fold that out of position continuation flop bet, etc. So do I really need all that software to get the edge? I can't even do table selection because I multi-table and I won't know how they play, if they are fish or not, etc.

Need some inside on this. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:58 AM

Default Re: Do I really need all the fancy software to play and win online pok

You can get by without it, I'm not sure why you would though.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:12 AM

The software does not make you a winning player, and if you are a solid player with good fundamentals than you CAN beat NL50 for sure without PT and PAHUD. You don't need the programs to make reads on people, just pay attention to hands that get shown down and make use of the notes feature.

However, I do feel that the software can help you win more by identifying leaks in your game (in PT), and by helping you multitable and still keep track of things (with PAHUD). This software has ADDED to my winrate, but it is not the reason why I am a winning player.

Bottom line: If you are serious about playing online, you should get the software, more to analyze your own play than to "read" other players based on their stats. Simply buying the software will not make you better. Using the software to analyze your own play WILL make you better, and keeping stats on other players COMBINED WITH YOUR OWN NOTES may help you in a marginal situation from time to time.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:13 AM

You might as well burn money if you don't buy it.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:04 AM

I was playin for a long time without using any software, only excel to keep track of wins. Just recently picked up pokertracker and Pahud. Really good for Multitabling and nice to look at stats on how to improve ur game. Also good to prove ur a winning player.
I recommend buying it if you are playing a lot of tables mainly. It sounds like you play a lot of tables so it will probably be helpful... the software doesnt come with any instructions on how to use the stats so Im not sure how much it will help you unless you understand poker stats and can adapt to them well
Old 02-14-2007, 03:11 AM

Default Re: Do I really need all the fancy software to play and win online poker?

basically, it would only help to purchase it
Old 02-14-2007, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Do I really need all the fancy software to play and win online poker?

The additonal software will not make you a winning player. It "may" increase your edge slightly, if you choose to impliment the info it provides to you. For me, the best use of Poker Tracker is to analyse my own game.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:34 PM

hi does anybody know if poker tracker supports mansion?
Old 02-16-2007, 11:47 PM

I win consistently at NL100 and 200, PLO100 and 200, and I used to play LHE from 2/4 to 15/30. I have Poker Tracker and game time, but I play mostly on my mac laptop, so I don't use any of it. I am still a winning player.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:16 AM

You dont need any poker software to become a winning player... but it will help for two reasons: 1) helps u make decisions based on logic and less intuition 2) personally it helps me go less on tilt. But you gotta buy it [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]