Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 10:16 PM

Default Simple preflop - set value here w/ 5/10 rule?

I think villain is TAG, 18/12 type. Simple question - do we call for set value because we almost stack him everytime here? we're calling $4.5 more, approx 10% of my stack. Is there any value from 33, say vs AK?

Cryptologic
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $49.50
UTG+1: $51.30
CO: $56.68
Hero: $49.75
SB: $26.23
BB: $95.35

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to $6.5</font>, Hero call?
Old 02-13-2007, 10:24 PM

Default Re: Simple preflop - set value here w/ 5/10 rule?

Fold
Old 02-14-2007, 12:09 AM

I actually tried to do the math on this yesterday, how much can I call here with a small pp for this to be profitable? I got frustrated and quit but I'll try to get us started here. He's giving you 2.125:1 pot odds here.

You will flop a set 1 out of every 8.5 times, so thats 7.5:1 odds. I dont know how to do the math, I tried and got confused yesterday. But basically this is a fold IMO bc 1) he won't stack off everytime we hit (ie on a A73 flop, he's probably not gonna felt JJ-KK or he's not gonna felt AK with no pair most times) and 2) a very small percentage of the time we are gonna get stacked when we flop set over set or when we get it in when we hit and he has an overpair but he hits his 2 outer on the turn or river. I just think there's too much ground to make up odds wise.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:28 AM

Is there any value from 33 against AK? Hot or cold: yes. But you can't expect to read him well enough to get to showdown when he misses - you'll have to fold to his inevitable cbet unless you hit set.

It costs you 4.5 to call, and you hit your set one out of about 8.5 times (I think), so you need to make an average of $34 every time you hit your set.
Unfortunately, some of the time you hit your set he'll have AK and will miss, other times he'll have KK or QQ and an ace will flop, other times the board will pair. These situations will happen a lot, and will keep him from stacking off.
In other words, averaging $34 when you hit set is a tall order - you're not going to always get his stack when you hit set, and you're never going to get anything when you miss. So fold, and wait until you get good enough odds.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-14-2007, 01:25 AM

If there's a couple others in the pot I don't mind calling, but not heads up. Just fold and move on to the next hand. And next time, limp w/ your 33 from the button, don't raise. You already have position and a pair. Why risk a couple bucks to steal 0.75? In a tourney situation, sure, try to steal the blinds. But in a deep stack ring game, it's really not worth it. The only reason I can see for raising in this spot is for deception purposes, but that isn't a consideration at the 0.25/0.50 online tables. Try to see a cheap flop and spike a set, then build up the pot. No need to juice it up pre-flop w/ a small pair, especially not from position.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If there's a couple others in the pot I don't mind calling, but not heads up. Just fold and move on to the next hand. And next time, limp w/ your 33 from the button, don't raise. You already have position and a pair. Why risk a couple bucks to steal 0.75? In a tourney situation, sure, try to steal the blinds. But in a deep stack ring game, it's really not worth it. The only reason I can see for raising in this spot is for deception purposes, but that isn't a consideration at the 0.25/0.50 online tables. Try to see a cheap flop and spike a set, then build up the pot. No need to juice it up pre-flop w/ a small pair, especially not from position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guys who open raise from the button with pocket pairs get more girls (and stacks).
Old 02-14-2007, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops. Read the post by Pokey on blind stealing in the SSNL stickies.

OP, this is as you know a judgement call according to the 5/10 rule, since his his raise is &lt;10% and &gt;5% of his stack.

In the cons section, you are OOP. But more importantly IMO is the guy's post flop AF. These very tight guys often push their big hands to the limit, so your chances of stacking may be quite good.

On the other hand he is on the button - how often does he like to steal?

All I can say is when the button raises this proportion of his stack size, my action depends heavily on my read. I don't think there's enough info in the OP to give a definitive answer here.

Also don't forget that the more conservative 3/8 rule is probably a better guideline (see a PSA by dbitel).
Old 02-14-2007, 08:50 AM

I rarely call 10% of my stack with a pp.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I rarely call 10% of my stack with a pp.

[/ QUOTE ]