Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 03:38 PM

Default Started again and now I am... losing???

Maybe this is not the right forum, just could not find any better.

Ok, heres the situation. I started playing poker oct 2005, mostly freerolls and play money. Won a bit, and began studying the play by reading everything. I never played a lot, almost studied more, but I won money, even though it wasn't many, but I liked it, because I had never owned more than 750$, since I am a student. I was very disciplined and was probably overrolled, but I did not like to take to many risks, because losing my bankroll would be the worst thing I could imagine (almost...). I also started to set goals for my self (like winning 1k$ buck in a month. ), because I maybe played a bit to little, and studied to much. But suddenly I just lost motivation. It might have been because the NFL season started, and I was addicted to that more than poker, actually, and it could have been because I was tired of the pressure that I had to win money. Anyway, I just stop playing poker for around 4 months untill the NFL season ended, and then I found motivation again. Problem is, I am losing now. I went down to nl25 and HU 10$ SNG, but I can't win. It's f...... annoying. I haven't played that much, but back in sept, I won around 70% of HU matches (30$), and was winning decent at nl25-50 (6-8bb/100). I think I have played just 5-6 seasons, I won a bit the first one, but lost the rests. Fortunately my descifit is just around 125-200$, because I am disciplin and I have stepeed down to 5$ and nl 10, when I had lost too much. But I am still losing, and I have never done that before (never had a single losing month). I wonder if I am playing any worse, but I really don't think so. My reads probably aren't 100% as good as before, but that should really not make me a losing player, like now. Is this just varians or is it actually possible that I have forgot how to play, and just need to practice more? One thing I've changed is using less time on poker. Thinking less of it, and studying less. I think this is healthy, because back then, I used to much time, and it sometimes made me crazy. Now I just want to look at poker, at a hobby, which I play 5-15 hours @ week, and earn some money. Still I am serious when I play, and I try to always make the right desicsion, just ain't working right now. Any advice?
Old 02-13-2007, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Started again and now I am... losing???

The online meta game for small stakes NL changes pretty fast. Strategies that worked for you maybe even a few months ago may no longer be effective. Due to its fast nature, online poker evolves much faster than B&M poker. Specificalyy, SSNL online has become MUCH tighter, and is moving into its agresive stage.
It seems that the game has outgrown you a bit, the best way to deal with this is to approach your next session with a new outlook, as if as u've never played in this game before and need to get a feel for it. so..
1)give the game your maximum attention
2)play fewer tables
3) extinguish any expectations for wining, because its essentially a new game for you

I myself and im sure many others have encoutered this problem before, but i will tell you that each time i adapted to the new "environment" i came out a better player with superior technical and psychological skills

good luck
Old 02-14-2007, 07:58 AM

Default Re: Started again and now I am... losing???

How many ring games have you played? Full ring? How many SH games?

How many tourneys?

Also, please learn to use paragraphs. Otherwise all of your ideas just mesh into each other. Most times i dont even bother reading huge paragraphs like yours.