Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 12:57 PM

Default Don\'t become \"Broken Heros\"

Last year when I first start playing poker at Commerce. At $200NL table I met a guy who won a big pot with a set against my two pair. Because he's also from China and we are at similar age, we spoke with each other at table for a lot of things other than poker. I felt he had a lot of confidence in poker and enjoyed the game as just much as I did. He's a likable guy.

After I lost $5k-$6k from $200NL table in the first two months, I started to re-evaluate my position and switched to $5/$10 online tournaments. Everytime when I come to Commerce playing live tournaments, I see him playing at $200NL. We talk a lot whenever we meet.

Recently, I play LAPC. Sometimes, I go downstair playing $400NL and see him. From the conversation, I learn he has lost his job, he's running badly recently. He also has no family and pretty much stays at Commerce most of the time. He says he lost a lot of money playing cash games thru out the year. I just felt lucky for switching to tournaments.

Last night, when I play the $2500 NL tournament, he was standing close and watching me play until I was busted when 4 tables left. Then, he watched me playing $280 SNG till the end when I won heads-up. I was surprised to see him sweating me since he has never done that.

I said good-bye to him and went to the valet parking. He suddenly came to me and said he ran badly recently and really needed a few hundred dollars and he promised he'd give back to me by the end of the money. All the sudden, I just felt so *sad*. I opened my wallet and gave him all I had in there, about $100 cash. It wasn't much, since I have all the cash in my "Players Bank" and I couldn't walk back to get $500 because my car is coming.

On my way home, I just felt so negative about poker and I felt so sad when seeing a friend go broke in poker. He has no job, no family. Now, if he asks me for money, he obviously has no money. Clearly, he's trying to make a come back with a few hundred dollars. But, that's virtually impossible. I don't know why he gets into this situation.

Through out the year at LA poker rooms, I meet a lot "broken heros" who went broken in poker. They sometimes ask me for money to put them into games. Sometimes, they sweat me at Final tables, after I win some money, they would ask me for lucky chips. About 10% of my winning goes to them because I really hate to see someone I like to go broke in poker.

Please play poker wisely, responsibly. Always play it as a hobby and don't miss other important parts of your life.

Good luck!
Old 02-13-2007, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Don\'t become \"Broken Heros\"

To be honest, you're an idiot for giving them money. They're just going to lose it anyways, and people are going to keep coming to you because they know you're good for a loan. Playing online definitely makes it easier to deal with these situations not having to deal with anyone face to face.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:26 PM

Instead of giving them money and making yourself feel better that way you should really look to get them help for their problem.

Obviously there are many of us who make a living playing and then there are those who ruin their lives because they have a gambling addiction. I think you'd be much better off to offer getting these people into a program so they can get their life back on track.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Instead of giving them money and making yourself feel better that way you should really look to get them help for their problem.

Obviously there are many of us who make a living playing and then there are those who ruin their lives because they have a gambling addiction. I think you'd be much better off to offer getting these people into a program so they can get their life back on track.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, if you really feel bad carry cards with info for Gambler's Anonymous on them and hand them that instead of cash.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:30 PM

And by the way, I share your sadness and concern in relation to this often untalked about side of poker.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:41 PM

1) you are an idiot for giving him money- hes just going to burn it
2) How the [censored] do you lose 6000 playing 200 nl at commerce
Old 02-13-2007, 01:51 PM

<----------
Old 02-13-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, if you really feel bad carry cards with info for Gambler's Anonymous on them and hand them that instead of cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize handling them a few hundred dollars won't help them at all. It just makes me feel better. I'm weak at social activities and don't really want getting much involved in poker other than just playing tournament for fun. I think the winner is lucky to get a lot of money from the prize pool. Maybe it's a good idea to take 3% out of prize pool and put it into gamble education programs. I'm too small to talk about this.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:04 PM

your not an idiot for giving them money, just overly sensitive and kind hearted. thats really not a bad thing. you should rethink what it accomplishes though.

it might be a better idea to carry gift cards to the resterant or something. tell them you feel bad and wanna help, but can't give money. Then give them a $100 resterant gift card. you've helped, assured they will eat, and it's a healther thing.

sure, they might go sell it for cash, but you did at least try to go in the right direction.

donno, my rambling thoughts on the matter. I would have a very hard time with that situation also.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:07 PM

I thought this stuff only happened online...must be funny to have someone rail and panhandle in person. I suppose as long as they "promise to give it back", or "you give me $5 i'll give you back $10 in a week!"

Anyways, these people have problems, there's no need to aid their problem further. They're apparently losing players, and are too ignorent to learn to play poker properly and with good bankroll management.