Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 04:13 AM

Default BJJ school: Martial Arts Beginner

Recently I've grown more out of shape and been feeling a bit "soft," both mentally and physically. I've realized for the first time in my life, I have no accountability to stay in shape. I rowed competitvely in high school and college and was an ocean lifeguard until last summer. There has always been a direct consequence if I let myself go.

I had been thinking about seeking out some type of martial arts training if available, when it seemed to fall in to my lap. Went out to the bar with some friends and met an instructor's wife.

http://www.elitejiujitsu.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx

I'd love some feedback if anyone knows anything about the instructor or the affiliation. The school seems pretty legit to the untrained eye, day adult classes fit great with my grad class schedule and the instructor's resume seems pretty impressive.

With no martial arts background, will I feel out of place in an adult class? I'm fired up to take my bruises and train hard, but right now I have an average at best physique and poor flexibility(decent cardio though) Will I be a complete tourist?

Also, what is a reasonalbe rate to pay? Thanks for any help
Old 02-14-2007, 02:39 AM

Default Re: BJJ school: Martial Arts Beginner

From the web site the school looks legit. Do it, BJJ is amazing and will kick your ass in shape. Great base knowledge for MMA. Before I started BJJ, I lifted hardcore weights 4-5 times per week and thought I was in great shape. During my first week of bjj after every class I could barely walk out to my car.

It will be tuff(due to harsh learning curve), so hang in there and pace your self in the beginning. The drop out level at my school(the Pitt in AG/ San Luis Obispo) and prob most is pretty high for beginners, but if your dedicated you can do it.

For only BJJ at the pitt, it's $100 a month, plus a $140 one time start up fee=up to 7 classes per week. Cardio is key, so that's good that you have good cardio skills, your still
gonna feel dead after class, but you'll do fine w/ adults.

GL man.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:57 AM

Hey thank for the thorough reply. It has just added to me being amped for the whole experience. I haven't been able to get in to he dojo due to the snow as of late, but I'll try and post a trip report after two or three weeks.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:51 PM

I agree with CaucasionAsian's comments. The place looks legit and I would imagine runs between $100 and $150 per month. You might feel out of place, but everyone does the first time they train, so don't worry. They should treat you well because they want you to sign up. If you are willing to take your bruises and keep going back, you'll do fine. BJJ will make people who are totally out of shape into shape quickly, and I am extremely unflexible naturally, so don't worry about it. Let us know how it goes.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:26 AM

I'm a newb at both BJJ and Thai Boxing.

You better grapple/spar very often if you want to build your cardio/stength. If you just go to classes (which are about techniques that prepare you for grappling), you will not develop strength or cardio.

Thai Boxing classes on the other hand are alot more physically demanding. This will get you strenth and cardio, even without sparring.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:31 PM

dc,

I guess I only sort of hinted at it in the OP, but I'm more looking for a motivation to stay in shape. General Health has obviously been too nebulous. For the last ten years, I've always had lifeguarding morning workouts/fitness test or crew practice/races to force me in the gym when I didn't feel like it and to make me make it home from the bar before 3 am. I'm hoping BJJ can have that same effect for me. There is a cheap gym across the street, so hopefully I can block out the time to do both.

I made it over there today, my first class will be tomorrow night. School is a little pricey: 99 for the first and 140 a month with my student discount after that. Start up is only $50 for a Gi. They'll keep it for $99 as long as I can bring in a friend a month to take 2 classes.

I caught the tail end of a class and have to say I was very impressed. I'll try to keep this thread updated.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm a newb at both BJJ and Thai Boxing.

You better grapple/spar very often if you want to build your cardio/stength. If you just go to classes (which are about techniques that prepare you for grappling), you will not develop strength or cardio.

Thai Boxing classes on the other hand are alot more physically demanding. This will get you strenth and cardio, even without sparring.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really agree with the "not getting in shape from BJJ alone", but I guess this depends on the BJJ school you attend. I'm not going to go into along post giving you examples and shizz. Just give it a few months of going to all the classes and you'll see what's up. Keep us updated.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:37 PM

DD, one of the biggest reasons why I joined my gym was also for motivation. I was always into athletics, but slacked off in the last few years. I had semi-decent cardio when I joined (I played soccer all summer and joined towards the gym in late fall) so that may be why just bjj classes didn't do anything for my cardio, but I still think that classes won't get you to the next level; make sure you grapple/spar as ultimately that is the best way to practice techniques and build strength/cardio...

~$150 is what all places in my area cost as well.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

but I still think that classes won't get you to the next level; make sure you grapple/spar as ultimately that is the best way to practice techniques and build strength/cardio...

[/ QUOTE ]

At most BJJ places I know of, sparring is part of almost every class. At my place we spar for 30 minutes at the end of every class, which is plenty of time to tire out anyone. If you're not tired after 30 minutes of BJJ sparring, then you're sparring with the wrong people.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

but I still think that classes won't get you to the next level; make sure you grapple/spar as ultimately that is the best way to practice techniques and build strength/cardio...

[/ QUOTE ]

At most BJJ places I know of, sparring is part of almost every class. At my place we spar for 30 minutes at the end of every class, which is plenty of time to tire out anyone. If you're not tired after 30 minutes of BJJ sparring, then you're sparring with the wrong people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I have to agree with slickpoppa. Saying that your won't get into shape from "class" is incorrect. I guess if someone went and practiced techniques, then skipped out on the rest of the class they might not get into shape, but that wouldn't fly at any school that's any good. The drills are part of class, not extra. If you aren't getting a pretty good work out, you aren't in a good school. I'm not saying that you should not work out outside of class, but you should be in much better shape than 90% of the population if you go to class 4 times a week and never do anything extra.