Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 11:52 PM

Default Song Recommendations

I am playing a three-hour acoustic and electric guitar solo show on March 1 in Houston. I am planning to do many covers and a few originals, but the manager of the place wanted some upbeat songs, as the two I auditioned for him were, I guess, too melancholy(Sullivan Street by Counting Crows and Black by Pearl Jam, if you're curious).

I've been trying to think up some upbeat songs that would sound good in this format, but the only thing that has sounded like a decent idea to me is Little Black Backpack by Stroke 9. None of my originals are peppy and upbeat, so I need some recommendations for upbeat songs that would sound good with just one singer and an acoustic guitar.

Fwiw, I'm a pretty decent player, so they don't have to be all chords, necessarily, but I don't think I can sing and play, say, Spirit of the Radio, either...so something in the middle is fine, but nothing too complex, especially if the rhythm is the complex part(for instance, I can play Satellite and sing Satellite by Dave Matthews, but I can't sing and play it at the same time). Thanks for the help.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:04 AM

Default Re: Song Recommendations

try some rock classics that work really well with one guitar and a singer:

I Want You To Want Me
Train in Vain
You Shook Me All Night Long

Dwight Yokum does all of these on his covers album, and they sound great...i've got a friend who breaks 'em out when he's got a solo acoustic gig without his band...
Old 02-13-2007, 06:58 AM

I think Gimmie Shelter by Rolling Stones, Wherever I May Roam by Metallica, Eruption by Eddie Van Halen, Moby Dick by zepplin(you could really make that ur own),
Old 02-13-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am playing a three-hour acoustic and electric guitar solo show on March 1 in Houston. I am planning to do many covers and a few originals, but the manager of the place wanted some upbeat songs, as the two I auditioned for him were, I guess, too melancholy(Sullivan Street by Counting Crows and Black by Pearl Jam, if you're curious).

I've been trying to think up some upbeat songs that would sound good in this format, but the only thing that has sounded like a decent idea to me is Little Black Backpack by Stroke 9. None of my originals are peppy and upbeat, so I need some recommendations for upbeat songs that would sound good with just one singer and an acoustic guitar.

Fwiw, I'm a pretty decent player, so they don't have to be all chords, necessarily, but I don't think I can sing and play, say, Spirit of the Radio, either...so something in the middle is fine, but nothing too complex, especially if the rhythm is the complex part(for instance, I can play Satellite and sing Satellite by Dave Matthews, but I can't sing and play it at the same time). Thanks for the help.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were you, I'd review the work of Carlos Santana.

He's done so many great solo's that you might be able to pick up on. If you find it, listen to "Aquamarine"....it is an absolute electric guitar solo jewel.

Another singer/solo number that I've always thought highly of is "In the Beginning" by Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

Good luck......the world's your oyster on this on!
Old 02-13-2007, 11:46 PM

Disclaimer: I know nothing about making music. All the tired horses by bob dylan on self portrait. I always want to hear more of that so short song. Under appreciated tunes are on that album; but then I would go see him everyday if possible.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:39 AM

dexy's midnight runners - come on eileen
Old 03-04-2007, 10:25 PM

"All Along the Watchtower" Jimi Hendrix
"Sultans of Swing" Dire Straits
"My Friend of Misery" Metallica
"Money" Pink Floyd
"Metro" System of a Down (this song has amazing lyrics and could be amazing if you do it right on acoustic)

If you want some slower songs that would sound great on an
acoustic, try

"Angeles" Elliott Smith
"When the Smoke is Going Down" Scorpions