Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 11:51 PM

Default Sunday $1M vs westmenloAA

Still pretty early in the $1M yesterday. Villian in this hand is westmenloAA. I hadn't played w/ him before but knew who he was. I'm sure he knew who I was - nobody :-). He's been playing moderately loose and very aggressive - seeing about 25% flops, raising 60-70% of those pre, and was extremely aggressive post. Earlier he'd shown down a hand that he raised pre from LMP and was called by button, cbet a rag 2 tone flop he whiffed, CR'd an overcard but otherwise brick turn w/ no hand/no draw, and then CC river when he made 2nd pair.

I'd been playing tight and moderately aggressive - showed down one solid hand.

I'm interested in thoughts on the plan for the hand once this flop hits. Happy to post more if you guys find it interesting.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Button (t26725)
SB (t13525)
BB (t11625)
UTG (t18025)
UTG+1 (t7000)
Hero (t11100)
MP2 (t18550)
MP3 (t17700)
CO (t7800)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls t600, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: (t1500) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Hero?
Old 02-13-2007, 12:43 AM

Default Re: Sunday $1M vs westmenloAA

I fire a pretty standard 1k, dont really want to take the chance of a c/r incase he decides to take a free card on this draw heavy board. If he raises well then.. you have a decision to make.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:45 AM

cbet like 1k then see what he does.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:10 AM

So if I cbet and he raises to say 3k do I give up?

If he calls what do I do if the turn comes and is unlikely to have improved him?

This board is about as draw heavy as they come, my concern w/ a standard cbet is that it looks weak and is inviting him to play back at me or plan to take it away on the turn when a scare card comes or if I show weakness. Of course, if he has a hand he'll look to protect it since he could interpret my weakness as trying to block w/ a draw and like me, he can't be sure which draw I might be on. He's probably thinking that this flop concerns me no matter what I started with and no matter how hard I hit it (if I flopped the joint or a set of J's would I put in a straight cbet here and let him "draw" to a gazillion scare cards?). I'm thinking he plays w/ me 100% of the time here and I know nothing more than I knew before my bet and face the same decision on the turn unless something like the Qc falls and makes my life easy :-)
Old 02-13-2007, 09:20 AM

If he's overaggro I c/c. Possibly lead/call a blank turn. Is this guy someone well known? Sounds like a donk just from the hand you described.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:23 AM

bet 1k, probably fold to a raise because stacks suck for him to be raising a draw on this flop.

if he calls flop, bet/call all-in on blank turn
Old 02-13-2007, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's overaggro I c/c. Possibly lead/call a blank turn. Is this guy someone well known? Sounds like a donk just from the hand you described.

[/ QUOTE ]

he won a recent SM i beilieve on PS
Old 02-13-2007, 09:35 AM

He's the most successful player around at the moment. It was suggested that he was a donk when he won the Million and view disputed fairly vociferously by some big names in MTTC.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:02 AM

WestmenloAA is a very good player as I know him personally. He plays up to $200-400nl cash games on full tilt where his name is "mjorgenson" or something similar. He is very aggressive and calls alot preflop when he has position. I really hate this flop for your hand until the turn blanks. I agree with all the "lead 1k on flop" lines and see what he does. He is a good player so if you lead 1k here he will almost 100% of the time raise a draw seeing as if he just calls it would probably kill action. So if you lead 1k and he just flat calls, personally I'd be more worried than if he raised the flop. I guess I'm sorta nitty, but, your hand is so vulnerable even if ahead. Being out of position in this hand is the toughest part seeing as he can put pressure on you with almost anything and you should probably fold to find a better spot to get your money in.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:16 AM

Bet 900-1100 on flop. Reevaluate on turn. If he reraises on flop im either folding or pushing. No value in simply calling