Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 05:05 PM

Default AJ in an unraised pot

I am a fairly aggressive player, but I don't typically play AJo in MP1 unless the table is tight. This is a $2.40 tourney though...first one ive ever played. I usually play $10 SNGs, but was in the mood for some loose playing

Absolute Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t10/t20
8 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t1100
UTG+1: t1180
Hero: t1460
MP2: t1930
CO: t1200
Button: t3300
SB: t1830
BB: t1500

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t20 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t30)</font>, Hero calls t20 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t50)</font>, MP2 folds, CO calls t20 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t70)</font>, Button folds, SB calls t10 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t90)</font>, BB checks.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t100, 5 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t60</font>, 3 folds, UTG+1 calls t60 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t160)</font>.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t220, 2 players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t220, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets t220</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t480</font>, UTG+1 folds.
Uncalled bets: t260 returned to Hero.

Results:
Final pot: t660

My plan was to induce the river bluff, which he made...I raised figuring he might call with a weaker ace, or maybe K9-K10. Otherwise he's on a busted draw and isn't putting anymore chips in the pot.

Should I raise more on the river? That would basically put him all in, and I didn't think he'd call a big raise with Q-10 or A-8 type hands.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:10 PM

Default Re: AJ in an unraised pot

I'm folding preflop and also don't bluff bet into so many players on the flop. I check behind on the turn, and just call
the river bet. Most of the times, only people that beats you call a river raise here. You also risk to be pushed of by a worse hand if he reraises you AI
Old 02-12-2007, 05:15 PM

Yeah I understand your points. It's very loose play through the flop...I just dont see anyone without a 10 being able to call bets on both the flop and turn...But since I hit my ace I checked the turn and tried to induce a bet on the river...

If this werent for $2 I'd smooth call the river, but figured for $2 someone might pay off with weaker hand. I bet small so if i was raised AI, I'd muck the hand. I dont think these guys are pushing ace rag on the river when a flush card comes...maybe i'm overthinking it
Old 02-12-2007, 05:19 PM

PF: fold
Flop: no reason to bluff at a pot with 5 players - just check behind and fold to any action
Turn: I'd probably bet about t160 - t180
River: call
Old 02-12-2007, 05:20 PM

Your logic is VERY flawed.

So is your play on every street except maybe PF.