Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2007, 07:49 AM

Default Villian checks flop, now raises my trips 2nd Kicker on turn???

I don't think it's that cool when other people make up hands that they don't actually play and post it as their own so I'll be straight with you guys. This is a hand that my friend played and I'm posting it here because he's busy MTing and we were debating over the turn decision.

MY VIEW: The turn is a call 100% with a hand like KQ. My reasoning is that he could has a monster like 88 or K8 or 33 and you could be way behind. He could also be on a bluff or on a TT, JJ hand where you'd be way ahead. I see no reason to raise here because you only get action from hands that crush you. Against hands you're behind you don't wanna raise so you can catch up and perhaps force a cheaper SD with the deeper stacks. Against hands that you kill (pure air and 99,TT,JJ,QQ), calling allows him one more chance to bluff river while raising and having him shove (and you calling to find air) is really rare. There are no draws here you have to protect from so the chance he's semibluffing is non-existent. In my opinion, a raise is fundamentally incorrect poker.

HIS OPINION: His line looks like pure air so I would rerasie a lot of bluffs as I would reraise with a big hand. If I call turn, check river, he'll know I have to have a hand, whereas if I raise, I don't need to have a hand (and might be able to induce another reraise steal bluff from him). The range I put him on is 70% bluff, 20% TTish, and 10% Kx. I like to balance my raises there with bluffs and great hands too. And I might be able to get more value from hands I beat (whether by inducing a bluff or call).

Set us straight fellow 2+2ers. Maybe I'm right, maybe he's right, maybe the answer's somewhere in between. Onto the hand...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $50 BB (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($5467.30)
UTG ($2441)
Button ($8410.70)
Hero ($8966)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $150</font>, Hero calls $125, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($350) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: ($350) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $350</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $1350</font>