Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 04:57 AM

Default Set over set?

20/40 at oceans... game only started 1 hr ago and i'm playing well and getting cards... only showed good hands... great game with loose passives...

utg (loose passive) and utg+1 (loose passive) limp,
MP1 (villain TAG, young asian guy, regular, played very few hands, haven't had a winner) raises,
MP2 calls (TAG, says "must be AA, but i have the best hand to crack AA"),
Hero on button with black KK, i 3 bet...
BB (loose passive), utg, utg+1 call...
MP1 caps (says "let's make it a big pot")
MP2 calls, i call...

pot = 12 BB

flop:
Ad Kd 2x
check to villain, who bets
MP2 calls,
Hero raises,
utg calls,
utg+1 folds,
villain 3 bets,
MP2 thinks and folds,
Hero pauses for 2 seconds and cap.
utg and villain call.

pot = 18.5 BB

turn: 7x, no flush

utg checks,
villain bets,
i call

pot = 21.5BB

river: 2x, no flush
utg checks,
villain bets
i call,
utg folds

pot = 23.5 bb

what do you think? too weak tight?

after flop action, i put villain on only 2 possible hands, AK (3 combos) or AA (3 combos)... i think he only puts me on 3 possible hands, AA, KK, AK... if i raise turn, obviously he 3 bets, and i don't make big laydowns so i'll pay 2 extra bets to see his AA... 1 win 1 extra bet if he has AK...
Old 02-12-2007, 05:04 AM

Default Re: Set over set?

I'd probably raise the turn and call down a 3bet with the overlay that you're ahead / UTG has a gutterball and will be willing to call 2 bets on the turn. It's a close spot though (it's even money AK : AA as there are 3 aces left in the deck and 1 king, so 3 ways to form each hand).
Old 02-12-2007, 07:28 AM

Yes too weak-tight. Lots of action on the flop does not equate to top set. It might also equate to a giant draw espically seeing as there were two diamonds on that flop. For all you know he could have felt fruity and decided to raise Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Youve gotta put more bets in on the turn or river. I like at least another 4 bets in, if he raises it, before I stop raising. Preferably get them in on the turn. I know you think that those players that look tight aggressive can only play good hands, but a lot of them play some strange ones too, and you just dont realize it.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:04 AM

If villain is James (wears glasses, usually listening to ipod, I'm pretty sure this is his name) then you need to keep raising the turn as he will show up with like 8d7d here sometimes and certainly JT/JQ/QT diamonds in addition to AA/AK.

If it's someone else keep raising anyway, because you have the third guy to cushion the pot for you. If the pot was HU I still keep raising, but the third guy makes it really easy. If I get set over setted with KK vs AA they're going to get a lot more action from me than any normal set over set because people love to go apeshit with AK against me.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:40 PM

ok, i actually forget if it was Ad Kd on board, but I do remmeber that it was 3 way action.... i proposed Ad Kd to make it more/less? interesting...

do you still raise turn if it were A K 2 rainbow?

no, the villain was not james....
Old 02-12-2007, 01:10 PM

For the love of God raise
Old 02-12-2007, 02:47 PM

Raise.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:22 PM

I'd probably throw out one more raise, mostly because of the likelyhood that UTG has a flush draw (he did call 2 cold, twice) and will pad the pot to help offset the times we are behind.

I think this is pretty close, though. Aside from the math telling us that he's 50-50 to have AK vs AA, and that we'll win 1 or lose 2 (as you pointed out), there's also the fact that a lot of players wouldn't cap this PF with AKo, making AA even more likely.

This is very read-dependant, though, and I think some more insight into the way this guy plays or any tells from the hand could easily push this one way or the other.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:37 PM

You played it reasonably. I'd discount the possibility that he's on a draw. He's an UTG raiser that capped the flop and turn. Another player at the table has already made a conspicous AA read (for whatever reason). The action says AA.

You could be ahead, but you've already done the assessment on that likelihood and it doesn't call for a raise.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:32 PM

thx all for the advice...

in reality, i was actually the villain, and i had Ah Kh... i bet turn and river knowing the best scenario was probably a chop, but i was willing to lose an extra bet then to let utg draw cheap on me... i was a bit surprised that the guy did not raise me, and no i was not gonna 3 town if he raised again on the turn... looks like i have some image issues, but at least i have them playing scared against me... LOL

some racist retard said i "tremendously overplayed" my hand, i ignored the weak tightie and made fun of his manicure...