Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 02:11 AM

Default Stud8- Is my draw strong enough to continue?

Wasn't sure I was getting the proper odds to call on 6th street to draw at my double belly buster. I was fairly certain my low was no good, though this assumption may have been off given the following action. Basically, am I bleeding chips if I call 6th? If you do decide to call 6th, do you call 7th in hopes of a chop when you improve just ur low?When you don't?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($1/$2), Ante $0.10, Bring-In $0.50 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (2.80 SB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks

5th Street - (1.40 BB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (4.40 BB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

River - (6.40 BB)

Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___folds
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets

Total pot: (6.40 BB)
Old 02-12-2007, 02:19 AM

Default Re: Stud8- Is my draw strong enough to continue?

Fold third.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:27 AM

Truth be told, I'll play this hand on third, but folding is probably better. I'm down with the check on fourth. Fifth confuses me. The bettor had previously checked A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], so that leads me to believe he doesn't have much--certainly not a made hand. Either that or he's clueless. You've got a made low with a one-out straight draw. The pot's tiny, so I don't think folding is out of the question, but I'm all right with the call.

On sixth, you've picked up another three outs for a straight. The bettor hasn't improved his low/possible low, and I'm guessing he's still drawing for it. It's possible the guy behind you has outrun you for low. I don't think folding is bad, but if you're folding here, why not fold fifth?
Old 02-12-2007, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold third.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I'm folding these hands more and it's probably saved me money. These hands are really quite bad (although the Ace does help a little) especially in loose games, and they can't stand up to a lot of action. From the get-go you're most likely already behind other low hands. You don't want to be up against more than one other low draw and hope you can force them out on 4th if you catch good and they catch bad.

As played, I'd fold 5th as well. You might already be drawing dead for low and you have to worry about 2 possible flushes behind you AND you still have to hit your straight.
The pot is too small to try and draw out here when it could very easily get jammed one this street and later. 6th is also a fold.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:05 AM

No. Fold 5th, pot is only 1.4 bb and you have 876 low with no decent high draw. 6th is also a fold since you got there. 4 of your straight outs are dead, & both players are showing better lows.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:01 PM

I'll make it simple, I don't fold third for the price of the bring in. Especially in a field like this one where the opponents could hold any 2 cards and they make it cheep for me to see 4th street. Hero is getting close to 4:1, call.

PS: Why is 3rd street even part of this discussion? It shouldn't be.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:33 PM

3rd is fine

I would fold 5th. The pot is tiny and even though the guy with the really strong board checked 4th I betcha he still has something. You also have two hands behind you who have boards that look like they probably arent folding. So yeah - fold 5th
Old 02-12-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll make it simple, I don't fold third for the price of the bring in. Especially in a field like this one where the opponents could hold any 2 cards and they make it cheep for me to see 4th street. Hero is getting close to 4:1, call.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have a hand with very little scoop potential and mediocre low potential, why not discuss it. I usually muck it too, especially with an A dead.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The point of the game is to scoop and A68r has basically nothing going for it in the high or low direction on this particular hand.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:36 PM

You played it exactly right, including folding on 6th.