Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2007, 03:45 PM

Default live hand

Friends hand from live game Reads on other player is he is a total maniac playing 80% of his hands and being super aggressive.

Stacks are both 100bb (50$) blinds .25/1

4 Handed Friend is in SB with 57o folded around bb checks.

Flop Q63. Friend checks. BB bets 5 friend reraises to 15.

Turn Q. Friend bets 20. BB goes all in.

Friend?

Where did he(if at all) [censored] up?
Old 02-11-2007, 03:52 PM

Default Re: live hand

[ QUOTE ]
Where did he(if at all) [censored] up?

[/ QUOTE ]
He [censored] up when he decided to go to war with this guy...
[ QUOTE ]
other player is he is a total maniac playing 80% of his hands and being super aggressive

[/ QUOTE ]
...with just a gutshot.

I'm assuming that blinds are .25/.50. So the maniac bets five times the pot and your friend decides that this is a good spot to pick for a super thin semi-bluff.

Don't check/raise-bluff maniacs. They aren't the folding type. Make strong hands vs them and value bet them to death or let them hang themselves.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:15 PM

There would have been $2 in the pot on the flop. Your friend had to call $.75 to win $1.25 out of position against a maniac with 75 offsuit. He should have folded preflop, on the flop and on the turn. Why get involved?

If he really wants to isolate the maniac, he should move seats so he can have position on him.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:05 PM

couple things to consider...I had 5 7 s in the BB. The maniac didn't even look at his hand preflop and limped in from the button..it was 4 max with everyone being super aggressive. The flop was Q 4 6 I had an open-ended str8 draw. I had a tighter table image and he knew that. Finally, he always came out betting after the flop and his calling pattern was to the turn...

I decided to make a move....where I went wrong was betting after the turn. I should have checked the turn and see what happened. I should have only bet the turn if I actually had the Q, but since I was on a semi-bluff I should have checked the turn, making him think I was slow playing my trip Q. Insead I kept firing because I knew he was going to call the flop, wanted to keep representing the Q's. I definitely didn't put him on a Q.

He did put me all in after $20 bet after the turn....because the guy actually made a great read. He had 5 7s as well.

All and all it wasn't a smart play by me...especially betting after the turn, but the bottom line is that it was a great read by my opponent. He wound up winning $60 pot with 5 7 s and two Queens on the board...good for him....bad for me....

I do believe that if I would have checked the turn, I would have had a chance to take or split the pot after the river.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
couple things to consider...I had 5 7 s in the BB. The maniac didn't even look at his hand preflop and limped in from the button..it was 4 max with everyone being super aggressive. The flop was Q 4 6 I had an open-ended str8 draw. I had a tighter table image and he knew that. Finally, he always came out betting after the flop and his calling pattern was to the turn...

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a totally different hand. Make a new post.

I still think your check/raise is a mistake. Your fold equity is basically zero vs this type of player. So you're just pumping up the pot out of position with an open ender.

Play more pots in position vs this guy. Try to make strong hands when OOP and then go to war with him.

[ QUOTE ]

He did put me all in after $20 bet after the turn....because the guy actually made a great read. He had 5 7s as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
He's not making a great read. He's just playing like a maniac plays, pushing his draw and putting you to a decision, hoping you'll fold, but having 8 outs if you don't.

If he said beforehand that he didn't put you on the Q then I'd believe him. If he said it after you folded, then I wouldn't.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:15 PM

don't go to war w/o a made hand against a maniac

wait for TP etc and call him down, maybe (check)raise river. This will calm him down.

If your friend wants to take a stand he should at least have an OESD. Well, I don't hate his flop raise totally. w/o a queen villian would have foldet I think. So, check/fold the turn.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:21 PM

first who plays .25/1$ nl that seems like the worst idea ever.
second with a 50$ stack that would be 50BB not 100BB

why would he push a maniac around with a f'in gutshot

"Friend" really needs to learn how to play poker, or atleast come to my home games