Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2007, 01:15 AM

Default Playing Tightly

I'm playing a live full 3/6 game for about an hour and up $50. The game is ridiculously loose. A player askes me, "Do you only play AA/KK/QQ?" Of course these weren't the only hands I played, they were just the hands I showed down with. Because this is a typical loose small stakes game, I figure there's no need to mix up my play. My question is how do you respond to a question like that (without sharing your knowledge of pre-flop play of course)? Usually these players don't asks questions like that. The only thing I learn about this opponent from him asking this question is that he is an observant one. (rare for a 3/6 game don't you think?)
Old 02-11-2007, 01:20 AM

Default Re: Playing Tightly

I would just say yes and than ask what hands he plays.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how do you respond to a question like that (without sharing your knowledge of pre-flop play of course)?

[/ QUOTE ]

"This isn't blackjack?"
Old 02-11-2007, 12:33 PM

Sure, let him think you are tight as hell, then whenever you're in a hand with him you'll know exactly where you stand!
Old 02-11-2007, 12:45 PM

i always just blame it on being card dead. usually something to the effect of catching 92o and 72o more tonight than my entire poker life. this is actually a situation i've run into more than once as i play quite a bit of live poker and i am obviously tighter than the rest of the table.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:13 PM

Giving a flip answer would be fun. But your purposes might be better served by having the whole table think you're very tight. Then you can start stealing with more marginal hands because everybody will think you are pushing the nuts.

Then eventually you'll get caught stealing. You can just give a big ol' laugh [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] and say "Busted!!".

Then go back to playing tight and eat them up when they try to pick off your "bluffs."

It's all a big mind game.
And "tight" is definitely the way to be.

Just my $.02 worth...

bc
Old 02-11-2007, 04:12 PM

"It certainly appears that way, doesn't it!?"
That keeps the conversation going, and, if you word the rest of the conversation correctly, you learn a little about him/her.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
how do you respond to a question like that (without sharing your knowledge of pre-flop play of course)?

[/ QUOTE ]

"This isn't blackjack?"

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 02-11-2007, 08:55 PM

I like James appears to be, am always the tightest player at the table. Even when I am catching great cards it seems that I am folding more than anyone PF at the table. Once in a while someone will say, "Uh oh, he's playing a hand". Doesn't happen that often cause most aren't even aware that I am being tight with my play. When asked, I normally will say, "man, this is the most card dead I have been in months!" It usually gets reactions from several other players who can sympathize with me.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:05 PM

most people don't even notice how tight another person is playing. It only takes you flopping a monster in the BB or flopping a set after limping a sm-med pp in a 7 handed flop for them to think you play the same as they do. They will never remember 30 minutes from now that you were in the BB when you flopped 9s over 6s. They will only remember you hitting a big hand w/ 96!