Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2007, 04:01 PM

Default KK onn Coordinated Broadway Board (Stars $5/10)

I had been at this table for 2 orbits. Villain had been here for one orbit and had not distinguished himself in any way.

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $5/$10
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6.4SB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4.2BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6.2BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: 8.2BB
Old 02-10-2007, 04:43 PM

Default Re: KK onn Coordinated Broadway Board (Stars $5/10)

nice post_i dont have a clue
on the turn we are ahead of few hands and when behind we usually have 6outs so continuing is marginal perhaps

if we continue, i like the check call cos
1/ we are behind most of the time
2/ we dont have reads
3/ i think we would just about have to fold to the raise.

on the river, were behind almost always so fold?
Old 02-10-2007, 05:32 PM

I like everything but the river... we'd only be looking for him to be bluffing something like 88/99. Would we be invoking a bluff greater than 16%? I don't think so. I think it'd have to be a fold.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:42 PM

i like a bet/fold on the turn. By just check/calling you dont know where you stand and are committing 2 bets with no clue. This is a better line.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i like a bet/fold on the turn. By just check/calling you dont know where you stand and are committing 2 bets with no clue. This is a better line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having any kind of read here would really help and I admit to feeling a bit lost. The reason I didn't bet-fold here in the absence of a read is that since I moved from $3/6 at Stars to $5/10 I have seen more aggression, including more nbluffing, bluff-raising and semi-bluffing (including semi-bluff turn raises). Against many players you can safely fold to a raise. However, this is not a bad spot for villain to make a semi-bluff/free shpwdown raise with a hands that could possibly be best (from villain's perspective) and stand chance of improving when behind (e.g., KJ or QJ). Lately, I have been more willing to check-call the turn against ttricky opppenents when OOP with hands I feel I need to showdown so as not to get blown off the best hand. That strategy has been successful although it is possible this hadn was not a good spot. But that was the thinking.

The river card is just about the worst card in the deck. Even if villain was semi-bluffing the turn now basicall all his hands beat me and I am hoping to catch a bluff. But what pure bluff hands could he have called the flop and bet the turn with?

Again, if I knew that villainwas a total lloose showdown monkey maybe you just cal and hope for the best. If he is semi-reasonable you check-fold. Here I have no idea. I called and as soon as I did it felt stupid. So many combos beat me that even if villain bluffs the few hands I beat (e.g., busted gutshot broadway draws) I don't think I can expect to be good often enough.

To my suprise villain had K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and MHIG. I am trying to not be results oriented and still think this call is bad. I think you need to be getting over 10:1 against an unknown here but I haven't run numbers and am just guestimating.

Any other thoughts?
Old 02-11-2007, 11:47 AM

Without any reads, bet the turn and fold to a raise.